mandag den 17. oktober 2022

Poetry Monday :: Most Memorable Italian Meal

It is Poetry Monday!
 Diane - who has taken over the hosting of  this challenge - and Mimi of Messymimi's Meanderings - who supplies us with many of the topics - are also writing wonderful, funny, thought-provoking, ingenious and honestly well written verse. Go and read them!
  Karen of Baking in a Tornado has joined us in this crazy pursuit, and promises us at least a poem a month!
  SpikesBestMate often publishes a nice verse in the comments.
  Jenny at Procrastinating Donkey who has been a faithful participant, is slowly returning to blogging after her husband's passing from this world. Let's continue to send warm thoughts, good energy, and lots of prayers her way, now that her mum's health is in need of a prayer too. But still we dare hope that she will join Poetry Monday again.

The theme is The Most Memorable Italian Meal.


The Most Meorable Italian meal. This theme is almost torture today. It's raining, 14 degrees cold and windy. I sit here trying to write and to keep warm.
  Italian meal ... I love Italian food. I often make it for us to enjoy ... don't get me started: Penne alla Norma, Spaghetti all'arabbiata, Pasta carbonara, Bruscetta ..., for a meal on a cold day, Ravioli or Girasole with tasty stuffings, Carpaccio or Panino for in between. And cakes. Lots of cakes:
a Tiramisù when there's a party (we had one this Saturday), Panforte, Panettone, Torta dei cinque minuti, and many more cakes (Many of them from "I dolci in casa" - a book on cakes and desserts). Oh and Richiarelli, cancucchi and Fave dei morti with a good Vin Santo. Mmm, almost heaven.
Did you notice that I left out Pizza? It's not because we never make a pizza, we do, at least once a week, normally with anchovies and pineapple and ham and cheese ... we love it! This is what my lilting poem will describe, the conglomerate, the icon, the apotheoses of so many meals eaten from a humble Italian Pizza a Taglio, where freshly baked pizzas in large pans are cut up and sold after weight. You ask for un'etto - 100 grams - or more according to your appetite. It's always fresh, always hot and the Florentine ones are the very best.


The very best Italian meal
Oh still I dream of this some time.
Come follow me to Florence's streets
The narrow ones that twist and twine
In Vicolo Sant'Antonino
there is - or was - a pizza shop
Where mushrooms, tomatoes and cheese
Would make me enter and say "Please!
One hundred gram." - OK some more,
A Sprite to chase it I'll adore.
Then sitting on the fountain's rim
In Italian sunshine once again.
Il Duomo's cupola ahead
and just behind me San'Lorenzo.
Then biting into savoury
And crusty goodness - luxury,
The mushrooms perfect, hot and sweet,
For eating in an Italian street.
I dream of this again today.

 - - - - -

Next Monday: Bathtubs!

4 kommentarer:

  1. Ohmyword, this was amazing! And now, I'm craving anything Italian. And to sit again in the Italian sunshine and take a leisurely bite of something fresh and hot and cheesy? Bliss!

    SvarSlet
  2. Just beautiful. And sooooo evocative.

    SvarSlet
  3. So good I can almost taste it, and now I'm going to have to get pizza for dinner tonight.

    SvarSlet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.