onsdag den 4. januar 2023

WfW January 3 2023 and IWSG

This meme was started by Delores a long time ago.  Troubles led her to bow out, but the meme was too much fun to let go, and now Words for Wednesday is provided by a number of people and has become a movable feast with Elephant's Child as our coordinator.

  Essentially the aim of this meme is to encourage us to write.  Each week we are given some prompts. These prompts can be words, phrases, music or images.
  What we do with those prompts is up to us: a short story, prose, a song, a poem, or treating them with ignore ...
  We can use some or all of the prompts, and mixing and matching is encouraged.

  Some of us put our creation in comments on the post, and others post on their own blog. This fun meme includes cheering on the other participants.

  And the more the merrier goes here as well, so if you are posting on your own blog then please tell us in the comments, so that all other participants, can come along and applaud.

Sandi has supplied us with Words for this Wednesday, as she will all through January. The Words can be found at
Elephant's Child's blog. These words are for today:

Hope
Joie de vivre
Devotion
Forgiveness
Rescue
     And/or
Brioche
Pie
Pi
Duty
Honour
    And the Moonlight Serenade too


These word did not fit any of my ongoing stories. Here is a small scene, that might turn into the beginning of more, or might end up as a one-shot. I love travelling, I love Italy and  well ...

Susan and Knud has gone to Italy hoping to find some books on magic in an old library. The fare in their modest accommodations is less than satisfying from Susan's point of view.


Susan and Knud left the dining room and walked down the stairs from their hotel.

"I can't live from just a brioche and a cup of hot cocoa for breakfast," Susan grumbled. "I'm not an Italian or a Frenchman. I hope for something more substantial to restore my joie de vivre before I can honour the beauty of this old city."

"Take it easy, Susan," Knud said. "As soon as the church next door opens, we can do our morning devotions there, and after that we'll find a nice place to eat some bread or maybe even a pie."

"I love you, Knud!" Susan said. "You're always full of forgiveness and solutions, when this grumpy old hag need rescue from her own self."

After a rosary in the old, Roman church and an excellent meat pie accompanied by a very good cappuccino in the café at the next corner, Susan's normally cheerful self was restored, and she and Knud took the tram to the old library, where they hoped to find some old books on magic for their school.

- - - - - - - - - -


January 4 question - Do you have a word of the year?
Is there one word that sums up what you need to work on or change in the coming year? For instance, in 2021 my word of the year was Finish. I was determined to finished my first draft by the end of the year. In 2022, my word of the year is Ease. I want to get my process, systems, finances, and routines where life flows with ease and less chaos.
What is your word for 2023? Why?

My answer
: That's 3 questions in one 😉 OK I'll answer all three, but in another order. Here we go:

1. Do you have a word of the year?
My answer: For writing I have no words of the year, I always use Jennifer Fullweiler's Random Word of the Year generator to find two words for the year.

3. What is your word for 2023? Why?
My answer: For 2023 I had the words: ASK and KINDNESS.
I like having a Word chosen at random because it brings focus to aspects of my life - and possibly my writing - that I would not otherwise have given much attention to. 

2. Is there any ONE word that sums up what you need to work on or change in the coming year?
My answe
r: No. ... Boring and too short for an answer? Let me try to expand this a bit more.

2023's words are ASK and KINDNESS ... Is there any way I can relate them to my writing?
ASK: Ask myself "Do I want to become a writer?" The answer to this question is a definitive maybe!
I want to write, I cannot keep away from writing even if I try. But do I want to become a writer? Not if it interferes too much with family life. Not if I have to do too many inconvenient things, like meetings book promotions and so on. In short, I want to write, but all the parts that come after having written a book ... I do not want those.
And this could be where KINDNESS comes in. Treat myself with KINDNESS, tell myself that I do not have to publish that book, or that I could always publish it under a pen name, as my real life name is rather unique. Because I think that it is mostly the idea of all the hullabaloo happening after publishing that keeps me away from finishing a book.
And with this insight, I send very grateful thoughts to the IWSG crew.

18 kommentarer:

  1. I love your Words for Wednesday story!

    Your words for 2023 are inspirational words and can be carried into everyday life. Kindness has always been a favorite word of mine.

    -Teresa
    T. Powell Coltrin
    https://journalingwoman.blogspot.com

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Thank you.
      The world can always use a bit more kindness!

      Slet
  2. Lovely take on the words Charlotte. And yes, interestingly my phrase for 2023 is "First of all be kind" so we are in sync. I have upped the kindness quota this year.
    XO
    WWW

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. The kindness quota needs to be upped. Nice to hear of your phrase.

      Slet
  3. As you know I always love your continuing story. And you are a writer.
    Ask and kindness (particularly the last) are excellent words for the year. Any year. Kindness (including that rare beast) self kindness is ALWAYS welcome.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Thank you!!!
      Self kindness is probably the hardest kind to practise - not least because you can see through all the excuses.

      Slet
  4. I can understand Susan. As much as I like Mediterranean cuisine, in the morning I prefer a (full) Irish breakfast.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Susan - and me - totally agree! A full Irish breakfast sounds tempting - much like a Poilsh breakfst as far as I culd see.

      Slet
  5. Maybe Susan and Knud met more old friends at the library?

    Ask and Kindness - good words. I think I have the same thoughts with writing. It's a lot of work even if you do get published.

    Being kind to oneself is something we all should do. I'm trying to practice that more often now.

    Have a lovely day.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. I don't know yet what will happen to Knud and Susan in Florence. But meeting someone, is not improbable.
      Publishing IS hard work. As is kindness to self and ohter. So keep up to good work.

      Slet
  6. What a charming Word for Wednesday story. I totally understand Susan.
    I like your words for 2023. Especially KINDNESS. There is not enough of it in our lives.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Thank you. ANd yes we need more kindness. THere ought to be enough to go around!

      Slet
  7. That's an excellent story and use of the words. Like you, i don't mind writing, what i'd mind is what i'd have to do after if my books sold a lot of copies. I cannot stand the idea of "living in a fish bowl."

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Oh the thought of becoming famous is really scaring. But I do not think I am running any risk there ;) More the risk of lots of hard work for very little success.

      Slet
  8. I think this little Italian chapter will fit well into Susan's story somewhere. I like it.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. I hope it will - and they sure need more books at Birch Manor.

      Slet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.