fredag den 3. januar 2020

European Reading Challenge

I stumbled over an exciting reading challenge: The European tour.  

The rules for participation are simple. Commit to the challenge, link up, read one or more books by authors from, or happening in different European countries. Only one book per author and country.
If you want to compete for a prize at least five books must be read and reviewed. The prize winner is the one with the most books read and reviewed between 1 January 202 and 31 January 2021 - an extra month of grace given ;) 

List of countries:
Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Macedonia, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, and Vatican City.

I think I can do this and go for the glorious FIVE STAR (DELUXE ENTOURAGE): Read at least five books by different European authors or books set in different European countries.

Tentative list - subject to changes, supplements, augmentations and re-postings without notice: 

United Kingdom: Screwtape Letters by British C. S. Lewis, I think it happens in England as well, or Brideshead Revisited.
Sweden: Pippi Longstocking - love her!
Poland: Dolina Issy or another book by Czesław Miłosz - I have to brush off my Polish.
Italy - Don Camillo - I just found a new one.
Norway: Sigrid Undset's Olav Audunssøn i Hestviken - but in Danish not Norwegian.
Germany: Das Glasperlenspiel by Hermann Hesse.

3 kommentarer:

  1. Have fun. I have read (and own) both of the listed books from the UK. I too love Pippi Longstocking (and should reread her, and read Don Camillo quite often. My language skills are not a fraction of yours so I don't know whether that is a Herman Hesse I have read, and don't know either of the other listed authors.
    The requirement to read and review is a good one. More work, but good just the same.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Glasperlenspiel means "glass bead game" which I think is the book's name in English as well. It's the last book, he ever wrote. It fascinated me as a young girl, and I have long wondered if It will still fascinate the grown up me. Now I'll soon know. I think you have read more books than I'll ever read, not least because my eyesight is gradually worsening. As a Dane we learn many languages at school, more when I was young than now, bt everybody learn at least two foreign languages ... nobody understands Danish ;)

      Slet
    2. Yes I have read Glass Bead Game. It was bequeathed to me by a friend.
      I wish that I had learned more languages as a child. It was a low priority here then (better now). I have a tiny smattering of French.
      I hear you on the eyes front sadly.
      Not having children (and being a very average housekeeper) means I have/make/steal more time for reading.

      Slet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.