fredag den 3. januar 2020

128th Birthday of J.R.R Tolkien

I Sit and Think by J. R. R. Tolkien
Happy 128th birthday


 I sit beside the fire and think
of all that I have seen,
of meadow-flowers and butterflies
in summers that have been;

Of yellow leaves and gossamer
in autumns that there were,
with morning mist and silver sun
and wind upon my hair.

I sit beside the fire and think
of how the world will be
when winter comes without a spring
that I shall never see.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood in every spring
there is a different green.

I sit beside the fire and think
of people long ago,
and people who will see a world
that I shall never know.

But all the while I sit and think
of times there were before,
I listen for returning feet
and voices at the door.

2 kommentarer:

  1. Truly beautiful.
    I wonder what he would have thought of the world we see today.
    His Ents are my favourite characters and I still mourn the Ent wives.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Ents are wonderful. I always felt tempted to cross the great River, looking for the missing Entwives as well.
      What Tolkien would think of our days and times, I don't know, but I suspect he would not have many kind words left.
      Truth be told, I'd rather discuss the fate of Entwives and intricacies of Elven languages with Tolkien than the sad state of our modern society.

      Slet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.