torsdag den 21. marts 2019

Words for Wednesday -- 20 february - Unicorn Farm 26

The prompts for March are provided by Delores at Mumblings. She has been treating us to a bunch of opposites this time.
  1. blasted,
  2. withered,
  3. derelict,
  4. broken,
  5. chained,
  6. ground
and/or
  1. fresh,
  2. growing,
  3. alive,
  4. active,
  5. hope,
  6. dreams.
Once again I wrote a small chapter from my magical autobiography. I did not use any of the words as far as I know. Maybe a new chapter will surface tomorrow. This has happened before.

During the break where all were treated to hot cocoa and steaming buns, Susan tried to keep an eye on David. He seemed quite normal, and Torben was also back to his cordial self. After the break all the teams met in the barn for a session on languages. "Icelandic," Gilvi began, "is alike to all the other Nordic languages. This makes it possible to guess the meaning of many of the words. But the grammar is different enough to make it necessary for you to use your brain. Today you'll have to learn how to count. It will be easy for most of you. Sorry Marja, Aamu, Jouka, Nata, and  Josta. You'll have to work a bit harder."
Gilvi's wand swished rhythmically, and words sprang from the tip, soared over his head and fastened themselves to the blackboard:
Einn - tveir - þrír - fjórir - fimm - sex - sjö - átta - níu - tíu - ellefu - tólf - þrettán - fjórtán - fimmtán - sextán - sautján - átján - nítján - tuttugu.
It was a challenge, and soon all the apprentices knew how to count to twenty in Icelandic.
"And why do you have to learn Icelandic?" Gilvi asked. "Because it is the language Thora and I speak?" he asked with a twinkle; and many of the apprentices laughed. "No, of course not. Icelandic is the key to all other Nordic languages, and furthermore one of many vehicles of magic. Latin is another one, ancient Greek, Church Slavonic, Pali or Sanskrit or even Pig Latin or music are some of the other. It is mostly dependent on the tradition in the land you come from. I'm sure Taavi and Tähti can - and do - cast spells in Finnish as well. But we have decided to go with Icelandic."

Susan began thinking. She had always felt attracted to languages like Pig Latin and Robber's Language (Røversprog) She remembered how angry Linda had been when Susan and one of Linda's classmates spent days learning Røversprog and talking faster and faster with one another.
"Susan!" Gilvi's voice woke her from her reveries. "What are you thinking of?"
"Røversprog," she answered. "I became quite good at it some years ago. Would that really be useful for casting of spells?" she asked.
"Yes it would." Gilvi answered soberly. "But before you consider casting and making your own spells, I'd suggest that you learn how to cast the basic ones properly. What was the words for today's snow magic, and how do you explain their meaning?"
Susan had listened closely in the morning, she wanted to learn everything, and she had a good memory for words. "The first half was the spell: 'Létt eins og snjór'," she answered; pronouncing the Icelandic syllables slowly and distinctly. "And this means 'light as snow', thus expressing my wish to flow and soar through the air, like a snowflake driven by the wind. To do this, I have to angle my wand downwards, so that the small jet of air is carrying me upwards. If I happen to point it upwards, I'll fall down, maybe hurting myself. The other half of the snow magic was the heating of the air just around me ..."
"Stop!" Gilvi said. "I am convinced. Would you please pay as good attention always!"
"Yes," Susan said. "I will."


The short winter days were not long enough to allow full program, everybody had to be home by nightfall.
Susan and Heidi left The Farm a bit late. They crossed the magical line of trees, and ran over snowclad fields. Tue and Lis waited for them at the barrier at the end of the road. As they caught up with them, Heidi came up to walk besides Susan instead of following behind her.
"Did you notice David and Torben today?" Susan asked.
"Yes, they seemed totally normal to me. Maybe even too normal. It was a bit spooky to see them smile and eat buns just like the rest of us."
"Yes. I see what you mean. But villains can't just be villainous all the time, I think," Susan said. "My granny once lived in a boarding house where she befriended a criminal master mind - she did not know he was a criminal of course. She always told us that he was such a fine man, a real gentleman. And she was shocked when he was arrested."
"Sounds right." Tue said. "Villains do not go around laughing an evil laughter all day, like in the comics. They would be found out far too easy at that."
They walked through the falling darkness and reached the yellow house just as the street-lamps lit. They happily shed all their coats and mufflers and gathered round the table.
  
"I'd like to go to that French holiday resort sometime," Susan said. "It sounds as if it is a place to relax among fellow wizards."
"Didn't you say that resorts like that one were artificial and no fun, when we talked about it this morning?" Heidi asked.
"Maybe I did," Susan said, "but then again, it could be nice. I'd like to pat a shark."
"It sounds like a nice enough place," Kai said dreamily. "Maybe we could go there some time?"
"Mum," Heidi said. " I think dad and Susan have been hypnotized or something. That awful place! This morning they did not want to go."
"Out of the mouth of infants!" Sandra burst out. "Suggestive paper I dare bet." Let me have it. 

6 kommentarer:

  1. Suggestive paper! Let's hope advertisers never have the magic in their papers to make us want what they sell even if it's something we wouldn't usually want.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Suggestive paper is one of my more evil inventions, I admit. At least when it is abused. I always forget that the first many chapters of this book is only in my files (in Danish) or in my head (mostly in Danish) and that you do not stand a chance of getting my in-book reference to the suggestive paper, that we met (or actually you didn't) in the very first chapter ;)

      Slet
  2. I have no idea how to pronounce those icelandic words but I like the idea that you can do spells in different languages which is something normal as not everyone speaks english. it's silly, but I haven't really thought about that as I always write and speak english.

    have a lovely day.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. One of the advantages of belonging to a minority ;) I can't speak Icelandic either (only some small bits and pieces - I'm a language nerd;) ). But I know someone from Iceland, and when I'm done, I'll have him correct all my expressions and spells. That kind of errors are a bugger to the native speaker (don't ask me how I know Vikings!). And this is one of the reasons I'm happy for all corrections.
      Have a lovely day as well.

      Slet
  3. I so enjoyed your post. Thank you for sharing your magical autobiography. I love that I know what 1-20 looks like in Icelandic. I'm definitely going to check out other chapters you've posted. I recently watched a documentary filmed in Iceland and was astounded by how well everyone spoke English. I found you by way of Words on Wednesday. I looked up Bye in Icelandic - Bless Bless :)

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Thank you Frances D. I did not know that Bless bless looed like that. It is pronounced more like "plos-plos" as I have heard it. Icelandic is not an easy language to master.

      Slet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.