fredag den 23. september 2022

Words for Wednesday Aunt Jemima's Garden 4

This meme was started by Delores a long time ago.  Troubles led her to bow out, but the meme was too much fun to let go, and now Words for Wednesday is provided by a number of people and has become a movable feast with Elephant's Child as our coordinator.

  Essentially the aim of this meme is to encourage us to write.  Each week we are given some prompts. These prompts can be words, phrases, music or images.
  What we do with those prompts is up to us:  a short story, prose, a song, a poem, or treating them with ignore...
  We can use some or all of the prompts, and mixing and matching is encouraged.

  Some of us put our creation in comments on the post, and others post on their own blog. This fun meme includes cheering on the other participants.
  And the more the merrier goes here as well, so if you are posting on your own blog then please tell us in the comments, so that all other participants, can come along and applaud.

The words appear on Elephant's  Child's blog every Wednesday in September. The words come to us from the head of David M. Gascoigne.
This Wednesday's words are:

Illustrator
Judgement
Insignificant
Friend
Creative
Married
    and/or
Myriad
Quilt
Product
Lip-service
Assemble
Bask
 
I had a hard time trying to bend those words to my will, continuing the story of Susan, Thora and the crickets. In the end I had to give up and follow the words back to Aunt Jemima's garden instead.
  I only used the first set, but maybe more to come. And as usual I took up the additional challenge of using them in the order they were given.


When everything was back in the basket, they walked on, holding the basket between them.
"Do you think their names are still on the mailbox?" Susan asked, "Or how will we know we found the right house?"
"I hope so. Aunt Jemima is the sister of my paternal grandmother, so her last name is not Bach like us, but err, something so plain that the contrast to Jemima always tickle my funny bone. Let me look at that old envelope again," Heidi said, and let go of the picnic basket. Susan had been pulling up a bit to compensate for Heidi's lower grip and was toppled when she suddenly let go. She sat down, hard, on the gravelly road.
"Oh, sorry," Heidi said, "did you hurt yourself?"
"Susan gingerly placed the big basket next to her and got up. She dusted off and felt her behind and legs. "No," she answered, "nothing bad at least."
Then she dived into the basket and pulled out a bottle, "Bur your bottle lost its flip-top." Some of the contents had spilled into the basket, and the two girls quickly pulled out sandwiches, blankets, and napkins. Nothing much had happened. When everything was tucked back in, and the bottles safely re-sealed and propped up by the blanket, Heidi finally pulled the letter from her pocket.
"Jemima Carlsen,  Smedevej 123 pr. Ejby" she read.
"Carlsen," Susan said. "Is that her last name or her husbands? I know you told me that she was married. But I cannot imagine a husband for her," Susan said earnestly. "You told me he was a rugmaker, and a politician. He must have been quite the man to do that and be married to Aunt Jemima."
"Yes and Mom told me recently that he also worked as an illustrator, he drew illustrations for the journals," Heidi said. "I have a hard time imagining Aunt Jemima and a husband too. She's so bossy, I imagine him as small grey and mousey. But that's hard to figure with him being a politician, and a rugmaker, and an illustrator.""
"Let's get going," Heidi said. They picked up the basket and walked on. Heidi continued: "Aunt Jemima and her interesting husband were also young once, maybe she were not this intimidating then."
"Let's not pass judgement where we lack compassion ... that's what my Mum said as I asked about my aunt Clio and her husband. She reminds me of Jemima," Susan said thoughtfully. "My aunt .. she's not my aunt by the way, but my dad's great aunt or something. She's married, to a small grey, insignificant man. Once I asked Mum how these two ever met and fell in love and ... you know. Then she told me off for prying, and cited that one about judgement and compassion."
"I know how Aunt Jemima and her husband ... what IS his name ... I can't remember ..."
"Don't think too hard, then you will remember," Susan interrupted.
Heidi nodded slowly and continued. "At least this is what dad tells. Aunt Jemima had a friend. This friend was interested in aunt Jemima, as she was tall, witty, creative and even pretty - hard to imagine her as young and witty. Anyway, this friend dared Mr. Carlsen to ask her for a dance. It was some kind of bet, even. And then Mr. Carlsen and aunt Jemima ended up getting married, and the friend was so angry."
"What happened too him?" Susan asked
"Dad never told," Heidi answered.

Now I have no less than three recent serial chapters unfinished: The story of Susan, Thora and the crickets. the tale of Aunt Jemima's garden , and the overlong strange testing in Transformation ending in a visit from Australia.  I hope to finish one or more of these in the coming weeks, it's confusing as it is now. Even more as I'm editing the chapters about Birch Manor in my spare time.

3 kommentarer:

  1. I do love these stories. And the parallel stories merely whet my appetite for more. Compassion never goes astray does it?

    SvarSlet
  2. Another interesting chapter. I sometimes see people who are so different I wonder how they got together in the first place.

    SvarSlet
  3. Your stories are excellent in any order you write them for us, and i'm so glad you do.

    SvarSlet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.