mandag den 18. januar 2021

Poetry Monday :: Winnie the Pooh

  Mimi of Messymimi's Meanderings and Diane of On the Border are taking turns supplying us with a topic for this weekly endeavour, sometimes with the help of others. They also write wonderful, funny, thought-provoking, ingenious or  honestly well written verse. Go and read.
  SpikesBestMate often publishes a nice verse in the comments, and helps out at topic supplying.
  Karen of Baking in a Tornado has joined us in this crazy pursuit, and promises us at least a poem a month - we hope for more.
  Jenny at Procrastinating Donkey is taking a break due to her husband's health issue and lately passing from this world. Let's continue to send warm thoughts, good energy, and lots of prayers her way.


  I have something more to ask of you: If you read this and the poetry of others, would you please leave a comment. Half - if not more - the fun of these challenges is receiving the responses of others
.
 

This week Diane is asking us to honour "Winnie-the-Pooh Day" which is today. He is not a favourite of mine, I think I was too old when first I read the books. But I am a fan of the poems. Today this one is appropriate:

The more it snows, tiddely-pom,
The more it goes tiddely-pom
The more it goes tiddely-pom
On
Snowing.

And nobody knows, tiddely-pom,
How cold my toes tiddely-pom
How cold my toes tiddely-pom
Are
Growing.

And all this snow poetry reminds me of a poem by R.L. Stevenson: Snow Time. If you do not know it, go to Lisa at Are We There Yet? and read it. I know this poem has been translated into Danish. I am trying to find the translation, but as far as I have been able to find out it has only been published in the Pixi book Legeland (no. 117) from 1967. I can't get this book from the library because of you-know-what, and of course I can't buy it anywhere either.

Here's my Danish translation. I'm excited to see how it compares to the Pixi-book version, when I find it.

Vinterdag

Først sent står vintersolen op,
en gyldenhåret dovenkrop,
der skinner et par timer kun
for at forsætte så sit blund

Og førend stjernen går sin vej,
før morgengryet, vågner jeg
Og frysende, på bare tæer
klæder jeg mig på ved lampeskær

Jeg sidder tæt på ilden tit
tør mine frosne lemmer lidt.
Så i en rensdyrslæde går
det rundt i verden udenfor.

Før jeg går ud, blir jeg klædt på
får vanter jakke, hue på.
Og vinden svider snart min kind
snor sig som rim i næsen ind

Mod sneen hvid står sorte skridt
min ånde blæses hid og did.
Og træer, huse, hegn og mur
ser ud som kager med glasur.

Next Mondays topic: Our favourite car

9 kommentarer:

  1. The poems in When We Were Very Young and Now We Are Six are some of my favorites. This one is most appropriate.

    My favorite was Sneezles, i always felt like my children would catch something or other just to keep me busier!

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Oh the dreaded Sneezles! Thank you for telling me about this poem.

      Slet
    2. Oh my goodness, Mimi! Favourites all!

      Slet
  2. I never warmed to Winnie the Pooh - though I did like Tigger and Eeyore. I do play Pooh Sticks when I go over a suitable bridge though.
    I did love the poem you translated for us. I can see (and feel it). Thank you.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Pooh Sticks, I've played always, but I did not until recently know it was called like this. We had an excellent river - with bridges - where I grew up.
      Thank you, I realise that you cannot read my translation, but then the original is better, as mostly always is the case.

      Slet
  3. I am happy to know it is Winnie the Pooh day. Your poem is great.

    SvarSlet
  4. Tiddly pom, my toes are growing colder as well!
    Love this, Charlotte. What a beautiful poem!

    SvarSlet
  5. Lovely poem, Charlotte, and so simple. I had some bedsocks as a Christmas present so my toes are always toasty despite the temperature outside! No poem from me this week, I'm afraid - I think I've reached the bottom of my well of inspiration. Hopefully back to normal by next Monday.

    SvarSlet
  6. Oh, how neat is this, to see the Danish translation of this poem! I wish I could hear it read!

    SvarSlet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.