torsdag den 21. januar 2021

The Greenhouse - Part 3

This Wednesdays words:

Demand
Surface
Cave
Labyrinth
Unheard
Wonder


And/or

Chest
Wishful
Swam
Swarm
Swan
Procession


And/or the saying: You can't have your cake and eat it!

I used only half of them, but then I also used the word I had left over from last Wednesday: labour.
It is a continuation of The Greenhouse I and II.
I'm quite certain it won't make it into my book if it is ever finished. It is just too strange.


The pressure of water against Susan's chest was overwhelming and her need to breathe could not be ignored much longer. Her ears were singing, not any longer with the waves of the ocean, but with the high pitched humming, that precedes fainting.
Tom looked at her: "Sorry! I forgot. It's not quite enough to hold my hand. Take this!" he said and pressed a Sjóblóm into Susan's hand. As she grasped the stem, she felt her body tingling from head to toe, and she opened her mouth wide open. After the first laboured breath, she drank in the water as were it pure, clean air.
"Sjóblóm!" Tom said, bubbles floating upwards from his mouth. "I'm surprised Tähti did not tell you more of the magical properties of this flower."
"She did not, or she might have told the others while I was getting the flowers, but I doubt it." Susan felt the bubbles tickling her cheek as they floated upwards.

Together they swam, surely further by far than the width and depth of the basin tit the greenhouse. Enormous sea weeds drifted slowly in the current of their making. sheets of green laver, forests of saw wrack and bladder wrack interspersed with stretches of green eelgrass rolled past them, then the water slowly grew darker and the larger seaweeds gave way to pillows of Irish moss and small colonies of corals in all the colours of the rainbow. Shortly after passing between two peculiar red clumps of corals, Tom stopped. Suddenly they were surrounded by a swarm of pipefish and seahorses. The pipefish all gave off high, shrilling notes. Susan felt like holding her ears. The biggest of the seahorses swam up to Tom, and Susan was surprised to see, that it was taller than Tom. The giant seahorse was covered in tiny platelets, Thousands and thousands of tiny platelets like an armour covered its body. And it had spines. Spines everywhere and of every conceivable colour. Susan knew that seahorses grew all their life. This seahorse had to be ancient beyond measure to be this big and spine-clad.
It spoke to Tom in shrill tones, more articulate than the pipefishes' piping, but still not a language Susan could hope to understand. Tom answered, listened, and answered again; then he asked something as far as she could hear. The big seahorse answered with a small, but piercing note.

"What was all that about?" Susan asked Tom, as he returned.
"The seahorse people need our help. I do not understand Littoral very well. I just hope I'm good enough to be of any help."
"You haven't forgotten that I'm a witch?" Susan asked. "I can cast a spell to make almost any language understandable. It is the very same Gilvi casts over the Farm every morning." She stopped talking "... but this means that we're outside Unicorn Farm here ... or that Littoral is not affected by the spell." She fell silent again. The big seahorse emitted some shrill sounds, and even without understanding the language, Susan understood the urgency and looked smilingly at the seahorse.

It spoke again in the strident, sibilant Littoral. But Tom slowly shook his head and said some words in the strange language. He turned to Susan. "Try your spell. He is using a lot of words I do not understand."
Susan drew her wand and concentrated. Clearly she spoke the Icelandic words and swished her wand. It did not work. "It's the water," Susan said. "It hampers my movements, and makes the swish into a slow movement instead."
The big seahorse came closer and said something. It was obvious to Susan that it spoke slowly, one word at a time. Tom answered. The seahorse looked at him and repeated the same three sounds over again. Susan tried the spell once more: "Mál sameinast!" she said loudly, as if trying to make up for the sluggishness of the water by being louder. It worked, partially at least. Suddenly she understood what the seahorse meant. She turned to Tom. "I think it wants us to eat the Sjóblóm."
"Yesss!" the seahorse said clearly. "Yessss ... Eat ... Bloom".
"No!" Tom said. "If we eat the flowers we grow. When we grasp the sjóblóm by the stem and dive into the water, we turn small, smaller than a seahorse, and we can breathe the sea water. If we eat the flowers, we keep our normal size, and can breathe the seawater for a limited time only." He turned to the sea horse: "No good. We grow too big!" and he added some words in Littoral as well.
The seahorse nodded slowly. Then it went over to Susan and looked her in the eyes. It spoke to her, a mixture of Littoral and Danish streamed from it. It repeated over and over until Susan understood and repeated slowly "I crush the flower, keep the stem in my hand and put the crushed flower on my wand. Yes?" "Yes!" The seahorse nodded emphatically. "Flower Crush ... Wand Move!" Susan did not linger. Quickly she stripped the flower from the stem, crushed the petals in her hand and drew her wand back and forth through the mashed flower. "Now. Spell!" the seahorse said. Susan clenched the stem in one hand while she swished the wand through the language spell. "Mál sameinast!" she said as her wand swished unimpaired through the water. And the usual mosquito sound was in her ears. The seahorse spoke again, and now it sounded like ordinary words, even if Susan still if she tried could hear the sibilant tones of Littoral behind them.
"Thank you." it said and turned to Tom: "Do you know how many timess I've watched you sswimming thesse waterss?" Tom shook his head. "And how many timess have you spoken to my people before today," the Seahorse continued. "But today you finally brought another one with you, a female even. Will you help us?"
"If we can and may." Tom answered, "We cannot help you against our conscience. What is your need?"
"It'ss the Sea Mother. She iss dying, or rather fading. She iss, or was, human like you once. She needss to ssee humans now and then to remember what it'ss like to be human. She needss the sservice of her own kind."
Susan thought back to the Christmas party and asked: "Is it like the old tales from Greenland? The tales of the Sea Mother with all the animals of the sea bound in her hair. And the young heroes that swim down and comb her hair to let the fishes and seals and whales out of her hair?"
"Yess," the seahorse said. "Ssomething very like thiss iss what I want to assk you."
"Do we have to comb her hair?" Susan asked.
"No," the seahorse said. "It'ss something both eassier and harder I have to demand from you. You, little girl, you need to sstand naked in front of the Sea Mother. Only thuss can her memory and ssanity be restored."

Susan swallowed. "Is she ... , no, that's not what I mean. ... Please tell me a little more."
"There'ss little to no rissk in it for you," the seahorse said. "But for uss it's a question of life and death. Tom here has kept us alive by throwing sjóblóm into the basin for a long time."
She looked at Tom. "Did you know about this?" she asked.
"No, I did not. I did not know about the Sea Mother at all. I ... have felt like something or someone looked at me. Sometimes. When I was swimming in here. But my stays in this water have always been a pleasure. I have always returned a wiser man. I never dreamt .." his voice faded. "I promise to turn my back and not look. I won't make this any harder for you, Susan. Please forgive me for bringing you here." He turned away, but not before Susan saw his face turn all red.
Strangely touched and assured by Tom's obvious confusion and plight, Susan looked at the Seahorse. "I will do it," she said. "Please lead the way to the Sea Mother."

The seahorse turned around and spoke to the pipefish in Littoral, so fast that only a few of the words were intelligible for the two humans.
The pipefish rearranged themselves, making it clear which route they should take. And they followed the giant seahorse between two rows of noisy, softly jubilant pipefish.

They swam into a clearing, bordered by white and red patterned corals and big globules of Irish moss in intricate patterns. Suddenly Susan realized that most of the red and white corals were not corals at all, but camouflaged seahorses. Then her eyes fell on the giant Sea Mother and she forgot about all the other wonders of this underwater world.

The Sea Mother was not a human being, or rather she was more than a human being. Her skin was pale silver, shimmering like fish scales, because it was scales. Thousands and other thousands of tiny scales close together covered her skin. Her hair was made out of filaments of red and green seaweeds and swayed and drifted slowly in the current. She was clothed in scales, or maybe it was her skin. Susan could not see where her skin-scales ended and the dress-scales began, but a dress, kind of anyway, fell from her middle, silver shining in all the colours of a broken rainbow whenever she moved. Her face was beautiful and ugly at the same time, the scales gave it a strange, inhuman look, but the sea green eyes looked like ordinary eyes only now empty and old. Her upper appendages, or arms were like the arms of a squid, yet with human elbows and wrists, She held a long, straight rod of pure white corals in one hand.

The giant seahorse bowed, and Tom and Susan did the same, carefully so as not to get off balance in the water. Then Tom sat down on a boulder turning the back to the Sea Mother and Susan, while Susan took off her skirt and her green tunic and folded them nicely, a task made difficult by the water and currents. Then she pulled off her undergarments as well and placed them on the skirt. She put a stone on top of it all to keep it in place and then she waited for the Seahorse to do his bit.
"Dear Sea Mother." he said. "I am here today to bring you a guest from the surface world from whence you came."
"Did I?" she asked. Her voice was sweet and ancient, yet strong and clear. "I do not remember. Who are you?"
The seahorse said its name - a hissing, sibilant string of tones and sounds in Littoral, that the spell did nothing to translate. And satisfied the Sea Mother turned her green eyes to Susan: "What is your name, strange being?" she asked in a friendly voice.
"My name is Susan." she answered truthfully.
"Are you a female of your species?"
"Yes I am," Susan answered a bit surprised.
"I once was like you," the Sea witch said dreamingly, her eyes turning darker, sadder, but more present. "I was a girl like you. I lived in a small village, and I was an apprentice to the witch there. I was on my way to ... somewhere, when I came here .... Those are some of my last memories."
"What is your name?" Susan asked.
"That is one of the things, I have forgotten." The Sea Mother answered. "And each morning I awaken with more holes in my memory. I need to shed many years' worth of sea-growth."
"All right your Majesty," Susan said, but the Sea Mother interrupted her: "Don't call me that! I'm not a queen or some such. I am a witch like you. Only one living under the sea."
"All right, Sea Mother. Look at me and heal." Susan said, as the seahorse had instructed her.

The Sea Mother looked at Susan, and as she looked, her arms grew more arm-like, the billowing skirt became more like a skirt and less like an extra skin. Shortly the Sea Mother looked like an older, more grown up version of what Susan always had imagined mermaids to look like. Not with split fish tails, but humans with fish scales for skin. Her hair was still seaweedy, but now browner and coarser than the red and green strands earlier. "My name is Adele," she said. "Now I remember. I was a witch-apprentice in the town of Borse. I was on my way home from my last exam. Then I ate a Sjóblóm on the day of the blue moon and I turned into a Sea witch, a Sea Mother if you like. Over 400 years ago.
During alll those years my body had changed. It happened gradually. I grew gills to breathe, scales to protect my skin, appendages covered my arms. And so on, and so on. I turned into the thing you saw when you arrived. But I had grown too far from my original form. I did no longer remember how it was to be human. And I have to remember to be the Mother of the sea; to hinder the storms from blowing too violently and to let the fish grow for the fishermen to catch."
"Thank you, my child. Thank you for giving me back myself and my humanity. You may dress again." Susan pulled on the wet clothes, it was hard work as anyone ever trying to put on wet clothes will know, and she was happy to be wearing the school uniform of Unicorn Farm, and not trousers.

When she was done, and Tom had once again turned around, the Sea Mother gave each of them a small coral from the biggest cluster. "Before you return to the surface, I have this tiny gift for you. This is a special form of marine life," she continued. "It cannot do much, but it has some protective properties, and I foresee that you will need those in times to come. And Susan, keep that stone of yours in your pocket always. It might be even better than my gift. And one last thing. If you ever desperately need help from the sea, throw that little piece of coral into the waters. It will be recognized by sea people everywhere."

10 kommentarer:

  1. Lovely story! I admire your creative imagination, Charlotte!

    SvarSlet
  2. You must publish your short story. It is full of creativity.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Thank you for your encouragement. It means a lot to me. I'm considering a "runners-up" chapter or companion volume with those tales, that did not make it into the book. This one and the mini-series "Here there be Dragons" among them.

      Slet
  3. Loud applause from me too.
    I have often thought of the underwater life as a whole new and largely by us unexplored continent. A continent filled with wonders. Wonders like your Sea Mother...

    SvarSlet
  4. Well done! Your stories are not too strange, they make sense in the context of Susan's world.

    SvarSlet
  5. This is beautiful :)
    I would love to have something that allowed me to breathe underwater, without the need for scuba tanks.

    SvarSlet
  6. I'm a little confused by the flower thing -"If we eat the flowers we grow" but then 'If we eat the flowers, we keep our normal size' - I don't know.

    I don't know why Susan have to be naked but okay. I thought the sea mother just seeing another being like her is enough.

    But I think this is great, surely, another great adventure for Susan to tell.

    Have a lovely day.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Oh a bit confusing, yes: If you eat the flowers you keep your normal size, if you hold them in your hand and jump in, you shrink.
      If Susan and Tom - after diving in, holding the flowers and consequently are shrunk - would eat the flowers, it would result in them growing ... to reach their normal size.

      Slet
    2. Abd the naked part, well two reasons: 1. It had to be an ordeal for Susan and 2. the Sea Witch was really senile, she wouldn't realise that Susan's clothing, and thus her own, was not a part of the human body.

      Slet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.