mandag den 25. januar 2021

Poetry Monday :: Our Favourite Car

  Mimi of Messymimi's Meanderings and Diane of On the Border are taking turns supplying us with a topic for this weekly endeavour, sometimes with the help of others. They also write wonderful, funny, thought-provoking, ingenious or  honestly well written verse. Go and read.
  SpikesBestMate often publishes a nice verse in the comments, and helps out at topic supplying.
  Karen of Baking in a Tornado has joined us in this crazy pursuit, and promises us at least a poem a month - we hope for more.
  Jenny at Procrastinating Donkey is taking a break due to her husband's health issue and lately passing from this world. Let's continue to send warm thoughts, good energy, and lots of prayers her way.


  I have something more to ask of you: If you read this and the poetry of others, would you please leave a comment. Half - if not more - the fun of these challenges is receiving the responses of others
.


  I'm going to pass on this subject. Even though we had a car for many years - with yours truly as a competent and reliable driver - and I have driven halfways around the worlds in my youth. I never loved, or even liked to own a car. I feel so much more free now our driveway is empty, and my poem would be a bitter one, not suited for piublication.

Instead I am going to repeat post a poem about rain that I originally published in August 2018. It is even more relevant today except for the line on apples and berries of course. I tried substituting with things to be done in the fields this time of year, fences .. plowing, and all sorts of things, I do not know the name of in Danish, much less English. If you know some better words, please help.

It was rainy all day. I could hear it all night, as I lay in my bed.
Now everything's dripping and drooping, and dreary and wet.
The brooks are all leaping, the rivers all run.
Every field had its water, every straw had its drink.
But there's fields to be ploughed and harrowed, I think.
So please, pretty please, can we have back the Sun!

Our village green, where we go for sports, BBQ and play is swamped:
Next Mondays topic: Spunky, old and awesome broads. (which I hope Diane - or another kind soul - will please explain)

And for the next four Mondays:
Craziest Vacation Memory (February 8)
From Your Pet's Point of View (February 15)
Favourite Word that Starts With D (February 22)
Peanut Butter Day (March 1)


7 kommentarer:

  1. I feel for you on both counts, Charlotte. I am not a particular lover of cars and merely use them for the convenience of getting from A to B reliably (fairly!) as our bus services have now become so depleted. We, too, are struck by heavy rain with many parts of the country suffering their third floodings in twelve months - and now we have heavy snow and icy conditions on top of all that. Roll on summer!

    SvarSlet
  2. Cars are a convenience (and sadly sometimes a necessity here) but not a love.
    I love the poem and would very gladly swap our sun for rain. We are still in a heat wave and the land is crispifying before my eyes.
    'Spunky old broads'. Old broads on its own is dismissive, patronising and critical. Adding spunky to the description says that these older women have not bowed to convention. They retain joy, and passion and may surprise you by acting in 'age inappropriate' ways. They should be celebrated for their age, their wisdom - and their vivacity. That is my take on the phrase anyway but I hope that others will add to it.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Thank you. Exchange packet of cool and rain on its way I hope to receive some warmth an sunshine in return :D
      Ahaaa! Broads means old ladies! I was led astray by English waterways, beans and sundry. Now it's meaningful all of a sudden. Thank you.

      Slet
    2. I am more than happy to send warmth and sunshine your way. I do hope it doesn't get lost in the post.

      Slet
    3. Charlotte, I would definitely take rain right now, if it also came with warming temperatures! We are sitting at -32 Celsius this morning. Ugh. I'm seeing a day by a toasty fire ahead!
      And EC explained it perfectly. 'Broads' used to be a very pejorative term for older women, and, used in the right context, still is. However, in this instance, they (Me, being in that certain age category!) are being described as unashamedly full of life! Raise your glasses in a toast!

      Slet
    4. -32. Wow that's cold. It has never been that cold here. I just checked. The all time low is -31.2 Celsius. I would enjoy a toasty fire too - and the view through my window - if I lived at your place.
      I think most of us Monday Poemers are spunky, old and awesome broads. I'll have to write a tribute poem.

      Slet
  3. Cars can be fun, but mostly they are a necesity (and it is sad that they are).

    Your poem is excellent, i'd send some sunshine your way if i could.

    SvarSlet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.