mandag den 11. januar 2021

Poetry Monday :: Our Least Favourite Chore

  Mimi of Messymimi's Meanderings and Diane of On the Border are taking turns supplying us with a topic for this weekly endeavour, sometimes with the help of others. They also write wonderful, funny, thought-provoking, ingenious or  honestly well written verse. Go and read.
  SpikesBestMate often publishes a nice verse in the comments, and helps out at topic supplying.
  Karen of Baking in a Tornado has joined us in this crazy pursuit, and promises us at least a poem a month - we hope for more.
  Jenny at Procrastinating Donkey is taking a break due to her husband's health issue and lately passing from this world. Let's continue to send warm thoughts, good energy, and lots of prayers her way.


  I have something more to ask of you: If you read this and the poetry of others, would you please leave a comment. Half - if not more - the fun of these challenges is receiving the responses of others
.


Some time ago I found out that I share my least favourite chore with Laura Ingalls-Wilder. Do you remember?

Try and see if you can guess
which chore MotherOwl likes less:

Is it cleaning?
It has meaning,
But when it's done
And time has run
You do it once again.

Is it sweeping?
She's often weeping
from all the dust.
But sweep she must
If not from dust we'd perish.

Is it washing?
She's often squashing
Just one more rag
Inside the bag.
But clean clothes are awaiting.

Is it dusting?
No, it's disgusting
A web to to catch
upon you thatch.
It's worse than dusting even.

Or doing dishes?
For sure she wishes
Self-cleaning plates
were somehow made.
But then ... we'll have to eat.

Exchanging bulbs?
Scrubbing the tubs?
Changing a tyre?
Starting a fire?
Or even worse: Clothes pegging?

The worst of chores.
far worse by scores
than painting, cleaning,
pegging, sweeping,
For MotherOwl is sewing buttonholes!


Citing Diane on next Monday's topic:
Next week, to honour "Winnie-the-Pooh Day"
We'll all, in our inimitable way,
Talk of him. Or take a look
At a fav'rite' guy from a fav'rite book!

11 kommentarer:

  1. Yes, i do remember that Laura learned to make buttonholes quickly and neatly so she could get it over with faster because she disliked it so. It was her first paid job, wasn't it, basting and sewing the button holes on shirts ordered at the store while the store owner's mother did the sewing machine work.

    That was a very clever poem! Mine is not near so long this week, i wasn't sure what to say until right before time to compose it, unlike some topics.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. You hit it rigt on. Yes and I like Laura sewed the buttonholes as quickly and accurately as possible for me (not nearly as fast as did Laura I'm sure) just to get them done. I saw myself mirrored in that chapter. Nowadays nobody but re-enactors does buttonholes by hand.
      Thank you for your kind words. I also used a part of my "thinking time" yesterday (doing menial tasks where your brain is almost idle) composing this poem.

      Slet
  2. I'll do the sewing if you'll do the dishes!

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Yes I understood from your poems that this was your least favourite. But no deal. Luckily I have children doing the dishes - I like to, but my hands cann't stand the water, and it's not often I sew buttonholes any longer. But when I do, I do so by hand - and hate every second.

      Slet
  3. Hahahahaha! And yes! Such fun!
    I have a sewing machine that does the buttonholes for me, so I can now cross that one off the list. In fact I think the last buttonholes I did by hand were on my wedding dress! ;)

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. My sewing mashine is an ancient one (a 1953 Singer model), it can't make buttonholes, so when I need one, it's made by hand. I still have buttonhole silk in various colours.

      Slet
  4. I guess that means you make your own clothes? I don't see any reason to sew buttonholes otherwise. I haven't sew buttonholes before so I have no idea how hard or how tedious it must be. Fun poem though.

    Have a lovely day.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. I make some clothes, yes. The crasiest I've done was weawing and sewing a sweater ;) This was minus buttonholes though. As I'm sometimes participating in "markets as in 1802" or something like it, I sometimes make that kind of clothes - with handmade buttonholes.
      It's not really hard, it's a matter of taste more, I think.

      Slet
  5. What is a button? I am possibly the world's worst sewer, so buttons don't really feature highly on my To Do list. Great poem, Charlotte.

    SvarSlet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.