mandag den 13. juli 2020

Poetry Monday :: Our Favourite Teacher - Updated

  Diane of On the Border and Jenny of Procrastinating Donkey are taking turns hosting Poetry Monday, supplying us with a theme and crafty poems, they are open for suggestions.
  Mimi of Messymimi's Meanderings also writes a poem for us to enjoy.

  This Monday Diane has given us Our Favourite Teacher

  I had a favourite teacher, she deserves an epos - a heroic poem. But my muse has up and left me - I hope to catch her later.

  And THANKS to all of your encouraging and kind comments, my muse returned. It's once again free form verse. As my favourite teacher did not fit into any boxes.

  Once she wrote in my end of term notes that she very well could not reprimand me for making what was demanded from the class and not a bit more.
  She made a class for the ones with reading and attention problems long before it was a thing to do - and had me "hired" to help. Not only to ease her job, I can see now in hindsigth, but to teach me, the - to all outer eyes - privileged, intelligent, haughty girl, that the world was not just fun and play.

-- -- -- 

She was kind, to the ones needing help, as the special needs class,
  which she made on her own.
She was furious, when a classmate was not allowed to go on a trip.
  went home to her parents and spewed out letters so big!
She was poor, served us homemade buns with margarine for a treat
  which I could not eat.
She was mad, when children had not enough to eat
  or showed up in slippers at school.
She had at least one boy sent off to an orphanage when the parents clearly
   were unable to cope.
She was sarcastic, but only when she knew you could take it,
  and you were alone.
She was gentle, with animals and the very small,
  and wasn't we all?
She was smart, she spoke Danish, and Flemish and French
  and a half dozen more.
She was generous, spent days with making up and stage things
  for the annual play.
She was sad, deep inside and we never repaid
  what we got.
She was lonely, and I sorely regret that I never got to tell her
  how much she meant to us.

 -- -- --

Another  memory: She had us all knitting chain mail - no not the real stuff, but string on very big needles - and she was reading a good book aloud to us while we knit; five rows each, three sets of needles to a class, and all had to knit, smart and stupid, boys and girls, clumsy and adept alike. We all learned how to knit.

11 kommentarer:

  1. I hope your muse comes back to you soon. And wonder whether the precious teachers that we all seem to have had realise just how much we valued them.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. I hope so too - not least because I want to read all the other contestants' contributions, and I won't until I at least have an inkling of what to write.
      My super-teacher had no idea how valuable she was to all of us. Sad to say. She was suffering from depressions in later life.

      Slet
  2. These wonderful teachers have no idea how important they are in our lives. I am so grateful for every one!
    Can't wait for your muse to return and to hear about yours! :)

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. You're so right. She did not know, or only partialy I think. And I'm sure she meant more to many of us than we'lll ever know.

      Slet
  3. Perhaps you could just tell us about her, it does not have to be a poem for me to want to read about a great teacher.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Thanks. Free form verse is verse as well. Just do it, I can hear her say!

      Slet
  4. I'm looking forward to your muse's return! Sometimes the more important a subject, the harder it is to put into words and/or the more we feel we have to do an outstanding job.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Yes. I waited for perfect. And that almost never shows up. Good has to be good enough. Thanks.

      Slet
  5. I believe your teacher would be pleased with the lessons you learned from her, Charlotte. Life lessons as well as classroom ones. It sounds like she really cared about - and cared for - her students. I'm so glad you found your way to writing about her.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. I sure hope so. And yes she cared. She was truly alive.

      Slet
  6. Thank you for this update. She sounds like not only an excellent teacher but an exemplary person. I am sorry to read that she battled depression later.

    SvarSlet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.