søndag den 15. august 2021

Using Wednesdays Words

David M Gascoigne had given us the following 10 words (published at Elephant's Child):

Aghast
Snivel
Beautiful
Magnanimous
Frogmarch
Spoonfeed
     And/or
Shoulder
Knot
Frenzy
Wicket
Wriggle
Visible

Finally a story surfaced in my brain. Pretty sure it's happening a winter's day at the Unicorn Farm, but also pretty sure it won't make its way into my book.


With a knot in her stomach Susan pushed at the wicket gate. Nothing happened, it would not budge. She set her shoulder to the top of it, and gave it another shove. Nothing. In her frenzy she had forgotten to turn the key. now it gave a wriggle and screamed at her with its tiny voice. Susan relaxed visibly, drew a short, but calming breath, turned the key and opened the gate. She was aghast  at the contrast as she closed the door behind her, no more devastation, no more snow, but a landscape so beautiful it seemed like a magnanimous god had poured all his joy over this small corner of the world. She locked the gate after her, still hearing the ghasts snivel on the other side of it. But she had escaped. And soon, soon she would find Thora and Gilvi. And together they would return and frogmarsh those dreadful things back to the darkness from whence they came.
Missing "spoonfed" which did not fit in

10 kommentarer:

  1. Love it - despite the typos/mistranslations. If only we could all open such a gate - and keep it open.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Oops, thank you. Yes typos - I forgot to run a spellcheck I'll do so immediately. I do not translate what I write, but simply write in English.

      Slet
    2. Now you can see how terrible my written English really is ;)

      Slet
    3. I am even MORE impressed learning that you write directly in a language not your own. Is ghasts ghosts?

      Slet
    4. Thank you. I have been taught English since I was in 5th form at school (we all do), in addition reading and slowly writing in English as well. Films and TV are not dubbed, only texted (only films for non-readers are dubbed), so we hear English regularly from infancy.
      Ghasts are monsters from the fantasy game Advanced Dungeons and Dragons which we've been playing (also in English) since some time in the 80'es. Ghasts are undead creatures much like zombies, but stinking so much that they poison people nearby. Add rotting, motley flesh, claws, fangs and glowing eyes - they are truly ghastly.

      Slet
    5. I did read this when you first posted with the misspellings and I was going to correct it but then I thought you'll probably do that anyway.

      Ghasts sounds more scary than zombies. I wouldn't want to battle them but Susan could do that.

      Have a lovely day.

      Slet
  2. You used the words very well. It would make an interesting chapter as they learned to deal with such creatures.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Thank you. It might actually be a good idea not only to have the handling of nice creatures at school. But ghasts ... not so nice. I might try with some slightly less life-threatening ones ;)

      Slet
  3. This is a lovely chapter and I am glad they have a way to deal with the ghastly Ghasts.
    Considering I know nothing of any other language but English, I think your English is very very good.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Thank you River. Ghasts are extracurricular activity I hope, else count me out.

      Slet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.