mandag den 25. maj 2020

Poetry Monday :: Smells

  My favourite smell, Jenny has spoken! Once again I cannot choose a favourite. There's so many wonderful smells in the world. Each single one of them evokes memories, happy or sad. And once again a rhytmically free verse, but sort of rhyming, is what you've got. I don't know why I feel like experimenting with form, rhyme and style right now, but I do. 
  Diane of On the Border and Jenny of Procrastinating Donkey are taking turns hosting Poetry Monday, supplying us with a theme and crafty poems. Mimi of Messymimi's Meanderings also writes a poem for us to enjoy.

The musty, adventurous smell of an old attic - a story
The eager smell of just before rain - oh hope
The rich, almost tangible smell of horses - my dear

The peerless smell of freshly ground coffee - plain glory
The virtuously clean smell of lye - for soap
The elusive smell of a newborn baby - so near

The bubbling smell of butter browning in a pan - so hungry
The indomitable smell of a campfire - can't be hidden
The appetizing smell of amethyst meadow squill - in the country

The soul quenching smell of old incense and prayers - clear as glass
The alluring smell of a pie in the oven - I'm smitten
The fresh, invigorating smell on the beach -  all will pass

Next week, Diane is our master once again: Bridges is our theme!

5 kommentarer:

  1. I enjoyed how you added your inner reaction to these scents and smells, Charlotte - my favourite was your second line, "...just before rain - oh hope" - that time really does have its own smell, doesn't it? And freshly ground coffee is a pleasant smell for me, too, even though brewed coffee is not :)

    SvarSlet
  2. Ohmyword! Yes to all of the above!

    SvarSlet
  3. I love this. Smells trigger emotions so very easily. More so than other senses I often think, and your poem captured that beautifully.

    SvarSlet
  4. Wonderful. Hat's off to you, that is excellent!

    SvarSlet
  5. Well done. An unconventional twist to the list, and all so relateable.

    SvarSlet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.