fredag den 13. september 2019

Words for Wednesday - Defiantly writing

Well no stupid, mean troll is going to stop my writing. 
Delores at Mumblings.  have given us:
The season that speaks to your heart
And/or
So many ways to say 'I'm sorry'
 Once again I'm traveling back in time. As I told, Susan lived in a coastal town and the Unicorn Farm was on an island situated almost two hours by car away from Susan's home town.  At least with the stops required by us children :)The Easter Fire had several repercussions on the Farm and in the magical households. Here's a story of one of them.

 The first day in the Pentecostal mini-holidays, Hilde arrived carrying a humongous load of freshly baked buns. She placed them on a central table, and continued to produce jars of homemade jams and honey from her bags. Even some freshly churned butter had found its way into her bags, swaddled in humid tea towels. An Thora came into the room, the table was laid out for a feast.
 Hilde got up and spoke: "I made it all by myself from scratch, and I mean totally from scratch. I milked the cows, picked the berries, harvested the wheat, stole the honey from the bees, and so on. The only store bought thing in the whole lot is probably the yeast."
 Thora and the other apprentices looked at her in astonishment.
 "You know the old proverb: 'So many ways to say I'm sorry'. This is mine. I realize I have been a pompous ass. I am an only child of two magical parents and they home-schooled me, and taught me everything they knew both about magic and the world. We live far away in the country, and we're used to being self reliant and hard working. But I've been thinking .. a lot ... since the Easter holidays.
 That Fire jumping, you all cheered My and Rosa on, but when I had to jump, I felt all your eyes on me, filled with despise, maybe even hatred. It filled me with a feeling, I did not know how to describe. It even made me forget the spell, and for the first time ever, I knew how it must be to not be able to make your homework with ease, not be able to remember the words or somatics.
 No one congratulated me after my walk through the Fire, I have never felt so alone and useless in my life. I have been thinking ever since. Maybe it's better to be friends than to be right. Sorry ... friends?"
"Friends!" all the other apprentices agreed.
 Together they ate all the delicious buns,  discussed the jams and the honey and marveled over how yellow the butter was. Hilde explained how she had done, whenever someone asked, but without bragging or showing off.
"Aren't you afraid of the bees?" Susan asked. "I live in a town, but whenever we go on a pick nick I'm always afraid of the bees."
"I'm dressed in protective gear from top to toe," Hilde explained. "And bees are generally nice insects, not bothering people - except when stealing their honey, or stepping on them by accident. It was probably not even bees you met. Bees are only interested in flowers or honey not in your pick nick, I think it might have been wasps. Thora, can you show us the difference?"
 Thora nodded and broke two small pieces of the bun she was eating, swung the wand over one of them: "Alibýfluga!" she said. "This is a bee."
 As if to prove her words, it went straight for the honey pot. Everybody laughed.
"Holugeitungur," she said, making the relevant gestures over the other piece of bun. "And this is a wasp. A black and yellow wasp flew from her hand, and with an angry buzzing went for one of the jars of jam. From there it flew to the window, making more than one frightened apprentice shrink from it. Thora went for it with a fly swatter.
 "You're right," Susan said. "Wasps, not bees, have been ruining our pick nicks. I'll never mistake one for the other again."
 The lesson developed into a general telling of tales abut insects, animals and other crazy or not so crazy happenings in town and on farm. Everybody had a good time, and Thora watched with secret appreciation how the green team grew to accept Hilde as a member and not as a stranger.

2 kommentarer:

  1. I really, really like the positive message to this excerpt.
    And love that you haven't let the troll defeat you. Thank you.

    SvarSlet
  2. Wonderful lesson, for her and the reader!

    SvarSlet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.