onsdag den 4. maj 2022

May 4 - Words for Wednesday and IWSG

This month Wisewebwoman was going to provide the prompts on her blog - but she is on a writing break and has sent the first week's prompts to Elephant's Child. The prompts will be there for the month, whether supplied by Wisewebwoman or Elephant's Child.

For today we were given:


Jewel
Jigsaw
Jerboa (Ørkenspringmus)
Jasmine
Jerrican (Reservedunk)
Jump
Jumbo (very big)
Jellyfish

Use some or all and add another J word of your own if you like. Have fun.

I'm going to go easy on myself and play A- Z Challenge for one more day. Let me see if I can put in more of the J words given here and maybe even some of Messyminmi's words from last Wednesday?  Here they are, and I used one!
I promise to return to the Unicorn Farm and my writings - soon!


Behaviour
Comfortable
Bubble
Pluck
Share
Ton
     and/ or
Bear
Conversation
Line
Action
Quality
Carrot

J is for Juglans regia, the common Walnut.

When we moved into our house, The Owlery, four trees grew in the garden: Two big birch trees, which were felled as quickly as MotherOwl could wield an axe and a saw, as she suffers from birch pollen allergy - ACHOO! We had a friend with a chainsaw and he came and cut down the de-branded boles later that summer.

A spruce tree, taller than the house, grew next to the house, making the rooms very dark during our first winter. Next Christmas we used the top for our tree, and slowly lobbed off the branches to protect delicate greenery form the terrible frosts we had that year. Our chainsaw wielding friend returned next summer.

Then there was a big apple tree. All the Owls were disappointed when we found out that the apples were inedible. The tree is good for climbing, so although its branches are slowly being et up by fungus, it is still alive. The Owlets love it and the Writer spend several days a year pruning and cutting for our safety.
The first thing we planted was a walnut tree. It grew big before it gave any nuts, lots of nuts, lots of inedible nuts, because it had some disease making the nuts black and inedible. Then in 2011 we bought two new trees from a man specialized in walnut trees for Danish gardens. Now we eat lots of fresh and delicious walnuts every autumn, and we share happily with the squirrels.
The old tree was cut down - using a hand saw - and was slowly falling to pieces.

The other day The Writer and MotherOwl agreed that it was time for the tree to move. It was so decomposed, that placing a hand on it made it go back and forth, just like a loose tooth.
MotherOwl extracted the tree, and placed it by the pond for all the teensy-weensies to eat.





- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

May 4 question: It's the best of times; it's the worst of times. What are your writer highs (the good times)? And what are your writer lows (the crappy times)??

MotherOwl's answer: Best of times are when the Words for Wednesday just makes my writing juices flow and I can continue my story, often over several instalments / days.
  Worst of times: I know how my story should unfold from here, I know what I want to write, the Words are just what I wanted, but the words just won't come. I sit staring at the monitor, at the blank paper in Word, and plain nothing happens. Nothing helps, not just writing anything including shopping lists, not gardening, not thinking of someone who would like a story; my old trick, as most of my stories in the beginning were told to The Owlets before bedtime. I just have to wait ... and I hate it!

7 kommentarer:

  1. Another delightful post - thank you. And I am thrilled to hear that sometimes at least the Words for Wednesday prompts excite your writing muse.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Thank you. The Words almost always excite3 my muse. The problem is that the distance between my brain and the keyboard often seems unsurmounable.

      Slet
  2. Sometimes you have to step back and refuse to let writers block hold you hostage. Do something restful - a nap, a walk or read. Take the pressure off your creative muse until it begins to fidget for lack of your attention. Jot down notes to self as they come and let them expand into prose. Or BICHOKs (butt in chair hands on keys) fiddling around with random ideas until something grabs you - usually out of the blue.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. That last one mostly works, reading old chapters, I meant to improve and so on. But sometimes my muse is having an attack of the stubborns. I have found out that for me there's nothing to do but wait until she returns from bathing in morning dew eating ambrose and slurping nectar or whatever muses do when on a holiday. She will return. But I still do not have to like the waiting time.

      Slet
  3. Whenever the writing does happen, i'll be waiting here to happily read.

    It's good to leave the rest of the tree for the bugs and others that can make use of it.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Thank you!. We found som big, white grubs in the bottom of the tree, I wonder what they'll turn into. I have considered posting a photo.

      Slet
  4. I hate it, too, when the words won't come. It's soooo frustrating. Sometimes taking a long walk helps and sometimes going back and reading earlier chapters works. But sometimes, like you said, I just have to wait, and that's the worst.

    I'll bet the squirrels love those walnut trees.

    SvarSlet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.