torsdag den 15. april 2021

Birch Manor - Summer - Part 5

This Wednesday the words are over at WiseWebWoman's blog. Yesterday we were given:

Canopy
Thorn
Machine
Charity
  
Limp
Aisle
Nothing
Sneak

 Please remember to go back, read other peoples' stories there or follow their links back to their blogs. And please place a comment after reading. Challenges like this one thrives on interaction.


Well, I used half of the words. Hopefully more story to come. I won't promise a new chapter each evening until next Wednesday this time around. But for now, continuing from yesterday's Oops-chapter
😀

 The trip to Sweden came sooner than expected.  The oldest of Hilde's sons, Hans, were a travelling salesman in machines and had to go south for some business. He offered Susan and Knud a ride as far as he was going.
"That would be very nice indeed," Susan said.
They set out early next morning, and drove in silence along fjords and inlets. The Sun was low in the north-eastern sky as they took off, it never set all Summer barely touching the horizon at midnight.
Hans stopped somewhere along the road and came out with three steaming cups of coffee."Hilde told me a high tale yesterday. She said that she herself, you and probably me and my children as well were witches. What's the truth behind this?"
"It's the plain, simple truth," Knud said. "Short version: We met at a school for witchcraft and magic almost 50 years ago. We all forgot, due to some ... let's call it unforeseen circumstances, but we, Susan and I, had our memories restored and now we're travelling Scandinavia to restore the witches and wizards we remember from school."
"The longer version have to wait for later, there's still a lot of pieces missing," Susan said with a complaining smile. "But look into yourself. Have you never experiences instances ..." Susan stopped and revisited yesterday's puzzle party with Hilde's children and grandchildren after dinner. Hans had solved the yellow puzzle at first try. this could mean that he was gifted with second sight. "..where you just knew what was going to happen?" Susan ended.
"Yes," Hans said after a prolonged silence. "That ability has won me many a bet and earned me many strange glances from persons who thought I had sneaked a peek in their personal papers. I have learned to suppress these glimpses, learned to live with it."
"But that's your magic showing," Susan said simply. Once we get you a wand, you'll be able to learn."
"Do I need a wand?" Hans asked.
"Yes you do," Susan responded. "At least for most of the 'real' magic. You can begin stretching that magic muscle of yours by following those premonitions, let them flow, react upon them. You're not a boy risking a rap over the knuckles for your words any more. Be careful of course, but it gets easier with practise - as indeed everything."
The rest of the drive was mostly silent. Hans was thinking and driving, and Susan and Knud were resting, gathering strength for the coming days.

***

When they had said their good byes to Hans, promising a visit to Tromsø soon again. they stood at the train station.
"You know what?" Knud said suddenly. "Why on earth are we going by train, plane, car and so on. Why don't we just teleport wherever we want?"
"Long ago I asked Jon that question," Susan answered. "He told me that your expenditure of energy is a function of two things; practise and distance travelled. We could teleport from Tromsø to Helsingborg and survive it. But we would have to sleep, eat and nothing else for days afterwards. It was and still is that way with a lot of things. the mundane way of doing it might take time, but the magical way exhausts you. And as we're going to have to function the moment we arrive in Helsingborg, it's just not practical. That's why portals are essential."
"I never knew," Knud said. "I think we should have been warned."
"In a way we were," Susan said. "And I think Jon placed an inhibition on us. No one ever overstretched their powers as far as I know."
"There goes my wonderful idea." Knud said with a deep sight. "Well at least we're going to enjoy some peace on the train journey there."

In the compartment of the train they discussed the Swedes. "Well I only know that Anna still lives in Helsingborg," Knud said. "Tell me a bit more, if you can."
"Anna was on the green team same as us, you sure remember?" Knud nodded her on. "She was great at at least healing and general magic, and most important, she was one of the wandsingers. She joined David's team for that ill-fated first broom racing, but she defected, left the team and stood up to David. We almost had to throttle her on the racing day, as she was going to tell on David. Fast forward: She lost at least some family members to Tristan and Torben's terror, and she was one of the helpers that last day. Her elder brother, Kalle, was nothing special on any accounts, he had a thorn in the flesh, and he followed the leaders. But he was not intrinsically bad, only weak. He died after all the fuss had died down, some 8 years after David. I suppose it was an honest accident or an illness. I won't blame Anna for her brother's missteps. David, Tristan and Torben taught us that much at least."
"They sure did," Knud agreed. "Your description of  Kalle tallies with mine, I won't pry."
"Oh we can ask," Susan said. "His death date is on her facebook profile, thus no secret."
"Ah, OK, but it won't be the first thing we mention either."
"And Helge? What about him? I really liked him," Susan said.
"I think we all did," Knud said. "He was always so clumsy. He got hurt, he fell down trees, he forgot his spells. Do you remember when we pulled him out of the pile of lumbers one winter's day?"
"Oh yes I do," Susan said emphatically, "I'll never forget that day!"
They agreed upon using much the same tactics as with Hilde. It had worked, and inventing new ruses all the time was not necessary.

They slept for a while and woke in time to eat their lunch packets, sending grateful thoughts to Hilde for the treat, and generally get straightened out before the train rolled in to the Helsingborg station.
After getting off they stood on the platform. Susan  looked lost.
"I think they moved the train station," Susan said lamely. "Nothing looks as it used to do. We're even underground. I wonder what happened to the station I knew?"
"Well, there's a map over here. I'll have a look," Knud said. "Södergatan is what we're looking for?"
"Yes for once a nice and easy job, and an address," Susan said with a sigh.
"It's a real long time since you last went to Helsingborg," Knud said laughing, "at least by train. This station has been in use since 1991."
"Oh really, Yes maybe, there has never been a reason for me to go here by train since I grew up." Susan said turning red.
"And Södergatan is very close. We can walk there in ten minutes," Knud said. "I know where it is now."
"I trust you with a map," Susan said. "Lead the way."
They turned their back to the harbour and walked into the bustling streets of Helsingborg.
"It's not a very nice town," Susan said. Tall buildings of glass and grey stones rose over them everywhere they looked. The old fashioned houses were few and far between.
"No, not really, when you leave the centre," Knud agreed. "This looks more like a rebuild German city than anything else," he said.
"An apt description," Susan said.

They had no problems finding Annas apartment. Knud was good with a map, and the houses were marked with big, visible numerals.

4 kommentarer:

  1. Magic can't solve everything, your stories show that over and over.

    Thank you so much for continuing these tales whenever you can.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Oh, true. I did not realize. It only creates other problems ;)
      Thank you for reading!

      Slet
  2. I would be sad too seeing nothing but tall buildings of glass and grey stone. (A lot of that is happening here as well)
    I like they way this story is progressing. I wish I had some magic.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. I'm happy to live in a rural place. I gfeel depressed in those snony big cities.
      Thank you. I sure would like some magic too!

      Slet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.