mandag den 16. november 2020

Poetry Monday :: (Memories of) Newspapers

   Mimi of Messymimi's Meanderings and Diane of On the Border are taking turns supplying us with a topic for this weekly endeavour. They also both write wonderful, funny, thought-provoking, ingenious or simply honestly well written verse. Go and read.
  Jenny at Procrastinating Donkey is taking a break due to her husband's health issue. Let's continue to send warm thoughts, good energy, and lots of prayers their way.
 
  I have something to ask of you: If you read this and the poetry of others, would you please leave a comment. Half - if not more - the fun of these challenges is receiving the responses of others.

I am a grumpy, old Owl right now, as can be seen form this non-poem. Sorry!


Old newspapers smell enticing.
The news are less alarming
When you know the outcome,
The weather forecasts cast less glum
The young ones are more charming.
And funny is the pricing.

New newspapers are alarming
The news are not enticing.
The uncertainty of the outcome
Makes our future grim and glum.
And bother all the pricing.
There's nothing fun or charming.


The topic  for next Monday: Showtime. Thanks to Diane and SpikesBestMate.

6 kommentarer:

  1. Sometimes the "old news" is the better news.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Yes. Not least becauise it's over and done with :)

      Slet
  2. I am a big, big fan of old newspapers (and books). New newspapers scare me. And worry me. And haunt me. I don't do horror well and these days the 'news' so often falls into that category.
    You might be a grumpy Owl - but you are assuredly not alone.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. I like old books as well. BUt books real books are so good, I love the smeel, the feel the weight and the sound of pages turning. No newfangled e-readers for this grumpy old Owl.
      Scary, yes our news falls in that category now.

      Slet
  3. Absolutely 'nothing fun or charming' about newspapers any more. I wonder if they actually will become extinct within the next couple of generations. When today's grandchildren become tomorrow's grandparents maybe they will have lost the art of turning a page.

    SvarSlet
  4. Perfect, Charlotte!
    Ohmyword, yes! I've gotten so I flip to the ends of books first to know if I want to put in the time to read them!
    I spend my life in the past. It's peaceful there! ;)

    SvarSlet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.