onsdag den 15. maj 2019

Words for Wednesday -- Unicorn Farm - The End

  In May 2019 Margaret Adamson, and her friend Sue Fulcher are providing the prompts. They will be published by Elephant's Child.
 

 This week's prompts are two photos. I use only the first one. It is with trembling fingers I hit the Publish button.


Photo no. 1

Susan was in hospital for a long time. When she finally left, she was weak as a kitten, and allowed only short walks. Each day she walked a bit further.  She was bored, she could not read much, visitors tired her out, and she had almost no appetite. School had to wait. Her teacher came once or twice a week and tried to teach her, but she could do no math at all,  and her spelling was as usual so excellent, that there was no idea in training. It ended with the teacher mostly keeping Susan up to date with happenings in the school and in the world at large. Her voice was a deep alto, soothing to Susan's poor brain and not loud enough to bring on more headaches.
Slowly Susan was able to walk for longer bits, but her appetite and genral wellbeing were far from good.

In the Autumn holidays the weather was so exceptionally good, that mum and dad had the idea of one last trip to the Summer house on the Island. "You know, aunt Dina and uncle Kurt have decided to sell the house." Mum said.
"I think you told me, yes," Susan answered. "what a pity. now it is finished and everything, I mean. It is such a wonderful place, free and wild."

One of the last days there, Susan and her dad went for a walk. They came to the end of a paved road, and a house in two mirrored sections lay enclosed by naked stone dikes. 
"That house over there," Susan said, "that's a new one, isn't it?"
"Yes," dad said. "It was built while you were in hospital. Don't you remember the old one, it was low, yellow, thatched I think. It had a funny name. It burned the night your friends disappeared. All the trees were damaged in the fire as well. They had to remove them too."
"No," Susan said, "I don't remember. I don't remember much after our journey down here in the beginning of the summer holidays. I remember eating pancakes the first morning. I remember being very happy inside. I still feel that way ... just a bit. But I don't remember much more."
"Don't worry Susan," Dad said, patting her back. "The doctor said that your memory might continue to improve for a very long time. Concussions are unpredictable."

11 kommentarer:

  1. Good to hear Susan is home and recovering- that house has played a big part in all our stories hasn't it!
    I must look back and read about Susan's plight from the beginning. How many episodes are there?

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. It is quite a long story. The easiest way is the tabs on top: Unicorn Farm Beginnings, part 1, part 2, and part 3.

      Slet
  2. It sounds like a rather sad ending, sometimes it happens that way.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Very sad ending. Totally bleak and depressing, yet I knew all along that it had to end this way.

      Slet
  3. Very, very sad - but sometimes life is just that.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. So true, and as I said in a longish comment, that seems to have been swallowed bu the Twisting Nether, I alvays knew this would be the end of the story. My work title is "Unicorn Farm, or how Magic Disappeared from the Nordic Countries". I am sorely tempted to publish the long version of this endning ... and later maybe a second ending to the story.

      Slet
  4. A lingering sadness in this ending but also it totally fits with all before. I can see this as a novella.

    Well done!

    XO
    WWW

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Thank you for your encouragement, WWW. I do have a hope of publishing this story some day. Right now it is a mess - parts published here in English, parts only in my folders, and even in notebooks written in Danish. Small snippets in either language inside my brain. And an alternative ending ... I hope time - and good prompts - will bring order to chaos.

      Slet
  5. I'm confused. what just happened? after I read 'Unicorn Farm 28', and now this part, there seems to be missing something. I guess since Susan lost her memory, this means she cannot tell us the rest of the story yet, right?

    anyway, I enjoy the series even if I seem to be reading it a bit later.

    have a lovely day.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Yes I have a big gap to fill between install ment 28 and the end. There are more gaps here and there. I won't run out of writing matter for a long, long time yet.
      And yes - how can Susan (me) tell us what hppened, if she has lost all memory of anything to do with wizardry, Unicorn Farm and that world? I have of course a solution to this. I am sorely tempted, but I won't tell untill I have published the whole book in an off line format. Or if I get it rejected from too many publishers ;) Or if something happens to me. I have it as an unpublished blogpost in my archives.

      Slet
    2. aah, so that's it. I guess if you have a little note about that, I wouldn't be so confused.

      I really don't know how you could get susan to get back her memory but I'm thinking it might have something to do with magic or just regular normal human way or well, you would know...

      I wish you luck in getting this published. have a lovely day.

      Slet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.