onsdag den 8. november 2023

Words for Wednesday, November 8

This challenge started a long time ago. Now it has turned into a movable feast with Elephant's Child as our coordinator; and the Words provided by a number of people.

The general idea of this challenge is to make us write. Poems, stories, subtitles, tales, jokes, haiku, crosswords, puns, ... you're the boss.
Use all Words, some Words, one Word, or even none of them if that makes your creative juices flow. Anything goes, only please nothing rude or vulgar.

 It is also a challenge, where the old saying
"The more the merrier" holds true.

So Please, remember to follow the links, go back and read other peoples' stories. And please leave a comment after reading. Challenges like this one thrives on interaction, feedback and encouragement. And we ALL need encouragement.

-- 🪐 --

The prompts for today as for every Wednesday in November are provided by Alex J. Cavanaugh, and made public at EC's blog.

We had these words for today:
Cumquat (which spell checker insists is spelled Kumquat - I leave the original spelling)
Blubber
Quest
Limestone
Furry
Purple
     And/or
Buttress
Mammoth
Fedora
Harsh
Snickerdoodle (which neither spell checker nor I knew before today)
Overlord

Alex J. Cavanaugh's Words, do not fit Susan's universe. I reverted to my habit from when first I participated in Words for Wednesday and made them all into a small, strange tale.


Qumquats and whale blubber make for a strange lunch, but on our quest to eat our way around the world, we could not be fussy. And the tangy cumquat juices really fit the fatty lukewarm blubber. The restaurant sat in a corner of an old limestone quarry, now converted to a giant greenhouse - this is where the qumquats came from, and far off we could see the ocean, where the whales played, and were caught.
For desserts we had another exotic fruit, looking like a furry purple eggplant, but it was very delicious.

Some days later we sat at the buttresses of an old Mongolian castle, gingerly tasting the vat-grown mammoth meat. The waiter, dressed in hunting greens with an overlarge fedora emitted a harsh odour as he served tea and snickerdoodles to finish the meal. He then sat down and turned on the old TV set. So we finished the tea and cookies rather faster than we wanted to. Anime are not our preferred genre, and Overlord is quite brutal. 

That same evening we boarded the Orient Express bound for Japan.


10 kommentarer:

  1. I think fuzzy might be fussy? But I could be wrong. This seems like an exotic place to enjoy a meal. I like the ocean view but I'm not so keen on whale blubber.

    Cavanaugh's prompts are kind unique or rather, odd to figure into any story but you did a good job with the words.

    Have a lovely day.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. I think you're right; and as fuzzy is indeed a word, spell checker is no help here ;) Thanks.
      I do not find Alex J. Cavanaugh's words strange or challenging, only too modern and not suitable for anything Susan-related.

      Slet
  2. Great job - but not meals that tempt me in the slightest. And yes, Alex's prompts I find challenging. Which is probably a good thing.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Those meals would not tempt me either ;) I'd like to taste Mammoth, though. Blubber was NOT nice!
      As I told Lissa, I do not find Alex J. Cavanaugh's words any more or less challenging than any other's words, maybe because I'm not a native speaker. but they are singularly unsuitable for Susan's stories ;)

      Slet
  3. Nicely done! I'm glad to have it from your experience, I do not want to try blubber.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. My parents always bought any strange food they came over and had us taste. I have continued this tradition. Blubber was one of the "not up for repeat"-ones.

      Freed from spam-prison, sorry I was slow.

      Slet
  4. Great story. Foods from around the world. I don't think I would be brave enough to try many of them. You know by now that snickerdoodles are sugar cookies, I used to make them around Christmas time and to cut the sweetness a bit I would add dried cranberries, but they were still very sweet and I confess to eating far too many. I haven't made any for about two/three years now.

    SvarSlet
    Svar

    1. Thank you! We always state, that you have to try all food once. There's some I regret, and some I have yet to try.
      Snickerdoodles are very similar to a Danish Christmas cookie, at least as far as I can see from the recipe. I'll have to bakes some.

      Slet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.