onsdag den 9. august 2023

Words for Wednesday ~ August 9

Today is Wednesday. And this means Words for Wednesday!

This challenge was started by Delores a long time ago. Troubles led her to bow out, but the challenge was too much fun to let go, and now the Words for Wednesday are provided by a number of people and has become a movable feast with Elephant's Child as our coordinator.

The general idea of this challenge is to make us write. Poems, stories, subtitles, tales, jokes, haiku, crosswords, puns, ... you're the boss. Use all Words, some Words or even none of them if that makes your creative juices flow. Anything goes, only please nothing rude or vulgar.

 It is also a challenge, where the old saying "The more the merrier" holds true.

So Please, remember to follow the links, go back and read other peoples' stories. And please leave a comment after reading. Challenges like this one thrives on interaction, feedback and encouragement. And we ALL need encouragement. 

-- 🇦 -- 🍲 -- 🇧 -- 🥬 -- 🇨 -- 🥗 --

All Wednesdays in August the Words are provided by Messymimi on her blog.

As usual I used the Words in the order they were given. They brought me to places I did not expect, let's see what happens next Wednesday.

For today we were given:
Abuse
Pardon
Posture
Guideline
Gavel
Evening
     and/or the following phrases
Drive me nuts
Beating around the bush
High and dry (which I had to look up and means roughly the opposite of my guess)

"I know we're not supposed to abuse the Sunshine potion," Susan sighed, "but all those rainy days in summer leaves me longing for sunshine. I would welcome even that yucky sunscreen mum insist on rubbing on my back when we go swimming."
Heidi looked at the window and sighed as well. The small windows in the old chambermaid's room in the attic of Unicorn Farm where some of the apprentices from the green and yellow teams --  and Heidi, Tage, Lis and My of course -- gathered to do their homework, were filled with running droplets. The old glass distorted the drops, they seemed to shrink and grow on their course down the panes. It was a soothing sight, almost mesmerizing, but after several days of continuing rain its attraction had lessened considerately.
"Sunscreen," Lis said disparagingly, "we need a jar of rainscreen, I think."
"Rainscreen, that would indeed be wonderful," Tage said.
Kirstin slowly pulled a book up her bag. "I think I have something here. I found this old book un the library yesterday and it holds all sorts of funny potions ..."
"I beg your pardon," Olav said, "but that is MY book. How on Earth did it end up in the library. It is one of those books to entertain children, try reading one of the 'recipes' aloud."
Kirstin shook her black curls out of her face and eyes and began reading: Mix one cup of cereals (preferably oats) with one tbs brown sugar and one pinch of purple salt (see p. 3). Pour it from the measuring cup to a circular pot while standing on one leg. Hold this posture while stirring three times counter-clockwise, then clockwise. Add one and a  half cup of pure water (from the tap will do). using a largish thimble. Again stir counter-clockwise, then clockwise three times alternating. Bring the potion to a slow boil and keep over the fire until hot, stirring in the same wise once every minute."
"You're making porridge," Lis interrupted. "Is this just to make magical children eat healthy things? It's fun, but useless if all the "potions" are like this."
"They are," Olav said, "at least as far as I remember."
"This one is supposed to make you strong and grow faster," Kirstin said with a lopsided smile. Then she looked at the perm: "Olav  Ravndal, November '69. Is that your birthday?"
"Yes, my fourth birthday," Olav answered, "I only vaguely remember the gift, but I remember trying out some of the "potions" later, and my disappointment that they did not work any magic. But how did it end up in the library?"
"I think I know," Astrid said. "In the rules, guidelines, or whatever they were called for coming here, we were invited to bring old, or unused books on magic for the school. You probably tucked it away in disgust one day, and then it ended up in the discard pile and came here."
"Sounds right," Olav said, nodding his head. "I remember something about pounding parsley roots with a wooden gavel - I think this book came with a bag of utensils. And I do NOT like parsley roots, not even magically pounded ones."
The others broke out laughing because he looked exactly like he was eating something very disgusting.
"I hope we'll not be served any parsley roots this evening then," Kirstin said, "I saw the Nisser coming home loaded with veggies."
"Oh yes, it's Friday," Olav sighed. "Veggie night. Why do we have to adhere to those old eating regulations? It drives me nuts."
"Hey, tell me more." Veronika said. "Its there a reason we're getting all that rabbit's feed every Friday, No-one ever told me!"
Olav hawed and hemmed and finally began "... well in days of old, we're told, some special days were supposed to be treated in a certain way. Fridays were meant to be one of those. Over time this changed into veggie days ... " Olav paused.
"Stop beating around the bush," My said. "Either admit that you do not know why or tell us what you know."
Olav sighed. "OK, I admit defeat. I only know some vague hints and ideas from listening in to discussions between my parents and their guests."
"Seems we're left high and dry," Lis said. "I hoped we were finally getting to know why. Maybe we'll be told in one of the coming lessons in History of Magic?"

6 kommentarer:

  1. As always I long to know more. Thank you - and I like the direction messymimi's prompts took you.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Thaank you, actually I like this direcdtion as well, I like that there's more than what meets the eye.

      Slet
  2. They might not be having fun in the rain, but I enjoyed listening in on their conversation.

    Nice use of the prompts, and I do wonder if there's more to that book and if we'll find out why there's a veggie night.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Thank you for the god prompts. I hope too to hear more of this.

      Slet
  3. A magical porridge recipe! I love it. I have my brown sugar porridge every morning :) Great use of the prompts :)

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Unfortunately the only magic about this book is in the names, It's some kind of "wannabe-magic book" written to make magic children eat healthier, I just hope they find something interesting there after all.

      Slet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.