onsdag den 30. august 2023

Words for Wednesday ~ August 30, 2023

Today is Wednesday. And this means Words for Wednesday!

This challenge started a long time ago, and now it has become a movable feast with Elephant's Child as our coordinator; and the Words are provided by a number of people.

The general idea of this challenge is to make us write. Poems, stories, subtitles, tales, jokes, haiku, crosswords, puns, ... you're the boss.
Use all Words, some Words, one Word, or even none of them if that makes your creative juices flow. Anything goes, only please nothing rude or vulgar.

 It is also a challenge, where the old saying "The more the merrier" holds true.

So Please, remember to follow the links, go back and read other peoples' stories. And please leave a comment after reading. Challenges like this one thrives on interaction, feedback and encouragement. And we ALL need encouragement. 

-- 🇦 -- 🌱 -- 🇧 -- 🍋 -- 🇨 -- 

As all Wednesdays in August today's Words are provided by Messymimi on her blog.

We were given:
  Privilege
  Cater
  Landscape
  Morning
  Novel
  Level
      and/or
  Failure
  Rumour
  Mention
  Matter
  Descent
  Outline

This time around: A true story from my garden.

I have the privilege to cater to many exotic plants in my wild garden. I love to make a landscape fitting the different plant types and habitats. But sometimes I get nasty surprises. One morning, I came out on my terrasse, to find my latest novel acquisition, a Yuzu tree, dying. The label on the pot claimed thet it was hardy to level 4 which here means that it should be able to withstand temperatures down  to -10 C. This was not true, as it died.

I let the Yuzu stay in its pot by the door as a reminder of my failure, and of not repeating it. I also have laurels and rosemary and a few other non-hardy species. And winters here are contrary to rumours of snow, mostly wet, with temperatures often hitting -10 during the night and thawing during the day. Which I have to mention is not good for the survivability of sensitive plants. As a matter of fact this combination sometimes kills off even big plants.  

Before I lose myself in the discussion of the virtues and descent of Yuzu trees, I have to outline what happened next.

I left the Yuzu at the door, the weeds grew, it rained, the sun shone now and then. And one day I noticed something not a weed in the pot. The Yuzu had sprouted again
Happy Ending - I love Happy endings.

8 kommentarer:

  1. How WONDERFUL that your yuzu sprouted again. Perhaps it will be more hardy next winter.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. I will bring in indoors with the other non hardy plants. No reason tempting the fates.

      Slet
  2. Hooray! I'm glad part of the root was still alive, I hope it thrives from here on.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. I hope so too. It's supposed to be a mountain variety, an I hope this means that it will tolerate our climate better.

      Slet
  3. Congratulations. It may have adapted to the weather.

    God bless.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. I won't run any risks, it'll have to spend the winter inside this time.

      Slet
  4. Hooray for the Yuzu! Perhaps neglect was just the right thing for it.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Hehe, It's not the first time that leaving a pot somewhere has brought me a surprise, so maybe. But no more neglect from now on. To hope for more miracles would be stupid.

      Slet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.