lørdag den 12. februar 2022

Words for Wednesday - Á Íslandi 11

Last Wednesday I only used the first 6 of  C. Lee McKenzie's prompts. Now I continue my long, long story of Susan and her co-magicians. Using the last 6 prompts.
I have as usual taken up the additional challenge of using the words in the order they were given.
Here they are:


Yesterday
Lovely
Sprinkled
February
Husband
Marriage

Before long Susan stood in rainy Oslo. She took the bus to Jan and Olav's Wine-import and party service. Jan himself was behind the counter. He asked Susan what he could help her with.
"Hello Jan, You might not recognize me at first sight But I'm Susan from Unicorn Farm. I need to abduct Marit for a day or two," she said, smiling trying to lessen the impact of her words.
"Oh, Susan. I'm so happy to see you. I understood from My that you are the reason behind our re-awakening. I'll call Marit at once, she's in the back room counting snakes - Not live ones!" he added hurriedly seeing Susan's face. "Party ones. We had them all rented out over the weekend, and they were returned yesterday --- Sorry; I'm rambling."

He turned around in the narrow space behind the counter, almost bumping his rotund belly against it and opened a door: "Marit, come here, I need your help."
Marit came into the shop, and Susan, who remembered her as a lovely, slim and nimble flyer, had a hard time recognizing her in the motherly woman in front of her. But then Marit smiled, and Susan felt the years slipping off her.
"Hello, Susan!" she said, obviously having no problems recognizing Susan at all. "Welcome to Oslo. How can I help you?"

"I would like you, no I need you to come with me to Denmark. Sandra, Heidi's mom, is ill. And we fear a curse or some such might be involved."

"I'll go pack. I'll be back in a jiffy," Marit said, and with the swiftness that had been so characteristic of her as a child, turned around and ran out the door.

"Do you want a cup of tea while we're waiting," Jan asked, I'd like a chat, and I just made some fairy bread for Monica and Olav's oldest. Her birthday will be in a few days, February 14th, but as that's a Sunday, we have a tiny party after schools out today. Fairy bread is an old family tradition."

Once again Susan was nonplussed, and she must have showed it. "Fairy bread is a children's thing," Jan explained. "white bread, buttered and sprinkled with nonpareils. Nasty, but tasty in small amounts with tea. Come on in."

Susan cam on in, and was seated at a small, laden table in the back room, while Jan prepared tea. "It's strange to see you," he said. "When you think of people you knew, they do not get older in your mind, and when you see them ... Oh, that was not a very gallant way of saying what I meant. But I mean ... "

Susan smiled at him. "I know exactly what you mean. I feel the same way," she said, still smiling. "And you and Marit being married, and Monica and Olav being husband and wife and you all having children."

"And even grandchildren, you'll see them later, or maybe not? How long can you stay?"

"I'm sorry to pull away Marit from the celebrations," Susan said. "But if it is as I think, the sooner the better, and we, or at least Marit might even be back before school's out. How many children and grandchildren do you have, and are they magic? My wrote me a letter, but we have been so busy I never got to read it more than cursory."

Jan took a composite photo from the wall and gave it to her: "The central photo is us, taken at our marriage, you sure recognize us there?" Susan nodded energetically, and Jan went on: "Top left our daughter, her husband and their children, twins, one of each. I won't bother with names."

"Nice of you, they are in My's letter, I can study them later. We're planning to revive the school."

"Yes. My said as much. That's a splendid thing to do. I, we, all four of us, have so many happy memories, and a couple of not so happy. Well, erm, the bottom row is our son, his wife. Her parents were refugees from Zambia, and then their four charming staircase children a boy, a girl, a boy and a girl."

"I think most of them have magic, My son's four are still small, it's hard to tell, but they all love playing with Martine's thingies, even if the smaller like to bite on them more than to try and solve them. Actually I always have a few lying around in the shop. I have discovered a few might be-magicians with their help. I keep a list." He ended smiling broadly. "More people for the resurrected Unicorn Farm."

"Birch Manor it is called," Susan said. "Lovely idea, that was smart. This summer, I hope we'll be able to revive the School. But right now my mind is filled up with Sandra. Please ... "

Marit came down the stairs, practically dressed, an old duffel bag in one hand and an umbrella hanging over the other arm. "I'm ready," she said, "Let's get off." She embraced Jan and kissed him soundly.

"You two do take care," Jan said.

"We will!" Susan and Marit promised him, and went into the stormy, but now fortunately dry February morning.

4 kommentarer:

  1. This is lovely. I am filled with anticipation about the next installment - and hope. Which is a wonderful mixture.

    SvarSlet
  2. a good chapter, I hope things go well with Sandra's mum and Marit gets home in time for the tea party.

    SvarSlet
  3. I don't have anything to say about this installment but you're good with using the prompts.

    Have a lovely day.

    SvarSlet
  4. There's so much danger and hope, each installment leaves me wanting the rest of the story.

    SvarSlet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.