onsdag den 27. december 2023

Words for Wednesday - Catch-up
December 13 & 20 - Third part

Today the last batch of Words for Wednesday goes live over at Elephant's Child's blog.

But I still have Words from last Wednesday, so I'm not going to look there until this is published.

For December 20th we had the following words:
Smithereens
Arch
Magazine
Outcome
Income
     And/or
Primrose
Cormorant
Boreen
Lucidity
Antagonism

I did not find a use for Antagonism, and I think I'm going to drop it. Continuing the story of the strange locket. And as usual using the words in the order they were given.

Second part.
First part
.
Part zero.
The beginning.

Again at lunch break the 10 apprentices met in the small room in the attic.
Olav tried yet again to pare open the locket with his knife, still with no progress.
"I feel that if I apply more pressure either the locket or my knife is going to burst. And none of them will be any good smashed to smithereens," he concluded.
"As I said," Tage continued, "I have an idea. I think I see letters around the edge, Lis, would you care to give it a try?"
Lis picked up the locket and said. "I see letters too, but I cannot make them into words."
"Let me try," Olav said. "I see the word 'Arch', but after this I see a-a-h-e-e which sure is not a word."
"Your eyes must be better than mine," Lis said. "Tell me all the letters you see."
Olav read aloud, and Lis jotted down the letters in the margins of an old magazine.
Susan opened her bag and pulled out her sketch pads: "Here use this."
The outcome was a long line of letters. Apart from scattered two-letter words it was totally meaningless.
"This must be some kind of code," Lis said "Let's try and crack it."
They sat down alone or in groups, writing letters and combining them. In the end Lis and Susan came up with the same solution.
"Every third letter," Lis said.
"Yes, and the second row has to be read backwards," Susan added.
But what a strange sentence, Lis said:"By the income of the primrose cormorant, I made my living. Walk the green boreen to lucidity!"

"What's a cormorant? Fiona asked.
"Some kind of bird, I think," Olav answered.
"They're black," My added, "not primrose."
"And what's a boreen?" Susan said. "Borean I know, and thought it was a spelling mistake."
 "A boreen is an unpaved road, mostly with grass in the middle," Veronika said. "I think it is an Irish word, as I know it from our Irish uncle."
"But still it's very unclear," Olav said. "Where do we start?"
"Finding the primrose cormorant," Tage answered. "It sounds like the name of an inn."
"It sure does, We'll have to ask all the travelling members of our families in the coming weeks," Olav answered.
"Yes," My piped in, "and all the sailors in the harbour too. It could be far away, even in another country."
... to be continued

2 kommentarer:

  1. How I LOVE this. And itch to read more. I am super impressed that you set yourself a further challenge and manage to use the words in the order they are given too...

    SvarSlet
  2. You leave me impressed and wanting more, too.

    SvarSlet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.