onsdag den 6. december 2023

Words for Wednesday & IWSG December 6

This challenge started a long time ago. Now it has turned into a movable feast with Elephant's Child as our coordinator; and the Words provided by a number of people.

The general idea of this challenge is to make us write. Poems, stories, subtitles, tales, jokes, haiku, crosswords, puns, ... you're the boss.
Use all Words, some Words, one Word, or even none of them if that makes your creative juices flow. Anything goes, only please nothing rude or vulgar.

 It is also a challenge, where the old saying
"The more the merrier" holds true.

So Please, remember to follow the links, go back and read other peoples' stories. And please leave a comment after reading. Challenges like this one thrives on interaction, feedback and encouragement. And we ALL need encouragement.

-- 🧛 --

The prompts for today as for every Wednesday in December are provided by WiseWebWoman, and made public at EC's blog.

For today we had:
Oysters
Herringbone
Puffin
Needle
Broom
     and/or
Hummus
Crochet
Locket
Sprocket
Market

Back in August I had the half-baked idea that one of the poems in Olav's fake magic potion book actually did work.

We left Olav, Susan, Heidi age and Lis sitting at the beach waiting for the full moon to rise early and them to test the verse.

Let's see what happens.


The beach was strewn with shells and other remains from big and small sea creatures. And when they dug a hole to bury the remains of their egg rolls Olav was sure, he had found an oyster shell, but Susan had to tell him that oysters did not live in the waters around Unicorn Farm, and that it was probably just a very old black clam.
They also found a couple of herringbones and the deteriorating beak of a puffin, Olav knew what it was, the others suspected it to be a discarded toy made from plastic.

Then the moon rose, and as soon as it had cleared the horizon Tage intoned the verse from Olav's book:

Monster, monster from the sea
come to shore and speak to me.
Full moon waning in the gloom,
Hero rising for his doom
Suppress partner, pressure go!
Trash can ballet, warrant too.

Straight as a needle the water jets rose from the water, Susan made a start, as if to run for her broom, but Heidi caught her hand, and they remained standing on the sand, watching.

The monster surfaced. It was long and sleek, reeking of overripe hummus, its scaled flanks towered over the children, when it neared, but its voice was surprisingly gentle.
"What do you want from me, human child?"
"I would like to know the meaning and purpose of that verse," Tage said.
"The meaning is obscure, lost to the mists of time, unravelled like an old crochet blanket." The monster spoke slowly, ponderously. "The purpose of it is to summon me, but only once a century do I heed the call. Tonight was the night."
The children looked at one another and back at the monster.
The monster spoke again. "Since you all seem guileless, not intent on abusing me or your powers ..." it looked at each of them in turn, its phosphorescent eyes boring into theirs. They met its scrutinizing gaze, afraid and curious at the same time "Since it is so," the monster continued, "I'll give you this locket. It belonged to a seafarer, long lost at sea. Maybe it'll lead you to treasures and riches. Maybe it'll only tell you where he bought his sprocket at the market before he set out on his last journey. Farewell young ones."

 - - - - - -

Today is also the first Wednesday of the month. Time for the monthly Question from the Insecure Writers' Support Group
December 6 question: Book reviews are for the readers. When you leave a book reviews do you review for the Reader or the Author? Is it about what you liked and enjoyed about your reading experience, or do you critique the author?

My answer: This is the hardest question yet! I hardly ever read a book review, and the few I have written for my blog were all written as part of some challenge and read just like some, I could have written for a school assignment long ago.

Really reviews are not my thing. I like to read the book and like it or not, independent from what others might think. Also for this reason I do not read the prologues, forewords, preambles or what ever they're called until I have read the book.

The answer is: I tell about what I liked or not about the book. If the book is filled with typos, spelling errors or inconsistencies, I tell about this too, as I think it is of importance for my reading experience.

If I ever get to publish a book, I am not going to read the reviews of it. But I like to be corrected, and have learned to say 'thank you' to anybody pointing out my mistakes.

9 kommentarer:

  1. Smiling at your use of Wisewebwoman's prompts - and looking forward to learning more about that mysterious lockets.
    I don't read reviews either, but many people rely on them.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Thank you . Let's hope for good words. WWWs Words normally are.

      Slet
  2. Interesting monster. I like wise monsters who doesn't try to eat children.

    The Insecure writers question is hard. I think reviews should be for both readers and authors but many people think it's for readers only. How can authors improve or how can they know if readers like or dislike their books if they don't know what readers think of their books? Like you, I wouldn't mind if people pointed out my mistakes. I like to correct my mistakes.

    Have a lovely day.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. I also mostly think that our personal reviews are for readers. The reviews for writers are the official ones in the book section of the papers and suchlike.
      If I write a review, I think of if I'd like other people to read this book or no, and why. Not of improving the writer.

      Slet
  3. What a fascinating spell! Only one use, once in a hundred years. I do hope they find something fun with the locket.

    Your answer to the question is sound and wise.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. I sure hope so too, and an curious where next Wednesdays Words wil take me.
      Thanks.

      Slet
  4. This is good! A monster from the sea who was gentle and answered their questions. I hope the locket is lucky for them.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Thank you! I hope so too. Only time - and WfW - will tell.

      Slet
  5. Excellent take on the words, Charlotte and I also love the poetry you inserted. Well done!
    XO
    WWW

    SvarSlet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.