søndag den 25. oktober 2020

Smart Farmers - Sunday Selection


We were on our way home from mass (last Sunday - I do not - unfortunately - own a time mashine). Suddenly I saw something in a field and snapped some photos.

Here we see it throught the bus window. Those strange dots in the top is some kind of anti-glare sun protection.



I made a closeup to see if I was right. And I was - what do you see behind and to the right of the horse?
  It's a lot of white flowers. Normally this kind of plants have bright yellow flowers ... and they are not really supposed to be flowering rigth now. Blame it on impatient farmers - or climate changes.

  It is rapeseed, or canola by another name. The white flowering variety is suposed to keep the pests away. The rape pollen beetle to be specific. It goes for yellow! and during summer you can find heaps of them on anything remotely the same yellow as canola:  Dandelions, table cloths, T-shirts and yellow barns (the old way of keeping at least some of them from the fields). And these pesky bugs are - at least in theory - unable to 'see' the white flowers of those rape seed fields.
  This is wery smart, I think.

An even closer closeup, not very good, but you can still see the that the flowers are white.

5 kommentarer:

  1. So they have bred a rapeseed to have a white flower to preserve it from pests? If so, that's quite smart!

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Yes that's the thought. The pests seems to not be able to see those white flowers - or at least not recognize them as their favourite snack.

      Slet
  2. Oh my. I have never seen (or heard of) white flowering rape seed. I hope it works. A colour change is MUCH more to my taste than expensive and destructive poisons and sprays.
    Thank you so much for joining Sunday Selections again.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. It's quite new here as well. I thing I saw the first ones three years ago. I also clap my hands violently at anything that means less poison - especially when it's a natural variety.
      Thank you for hosting this. It's a good excuse to show off some of the more goofy shots :D

      Slet
  3. How very interesting Charlotte, thank goodness for no pesticides.

    XO
    WWW

    SvarSlet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.