mandag den 19. oktober 2020

Poetry Monday :: 19.10

Mimi of Messymimi's Meanderings and Diane of On the Border  are taking turns supplying us with a topic for this weekly endeavour. 
  They also both write wonderful, funny, thought-provoking, ingenious or simply honestly well written verse. Go and read.
   Jenny at Procrastinating Donkey is taking a break due to her husband's health issue. Let's continue  to send warm thoughts, good energy and lots of prayers their way.  


  This week Diane has given us: Diet Craze. And like everybody else I heard about this or that new diet fad. But I do not follow up on it. This time it's three poems for the price of one, no diets here.

DNB has acted up again not posting this a bit after midniigth today Grrr...


I've heard of diets quite a lot
Potato, water, cold and hot.
But never did I use them
There's always a birthday coming up
a Saint's day, holiday, oh stop,
With Muffins, Crumbles, Baba au Rhum ...
That's why I never can forsake,
The candy and the tea and cake.

But them something happened ... repeat post from long ago:
Source



I ate something
     I should not have eaten.
Now my brain is fogged
     And my innards feel beaten.
My bowels are burning,
     My eyes oh so heavy.
Oh why, MotherOwl,
     Did you taste that darned gravy?


So now I follow the FODMAPdiet. It is a strange diet. And hard to rhyme with, but I'll give it a try. Bear with me if there's a bit folk song army over some of the lines once again 😉 

Apples and pears? No and no.
Bananas, pineapples? Yes and go!
No wheat, no beans,
No chards, no greens,
And worst of all -
No mushrooms small.

No onions, garlic. Artichoke,
shall never more my stomach stoke.
Of milk and cream
I can but dream.
And cauliflower
Just makes me sour.

To prunes and plums I bade farewell
Yes, it is hard, as you can tell.
No figs, no peas.
Nor apricot
Or quince or cot-
tage cheese.

And if for unknown food I thirst,
I have to check their standing first.
All meat is fine,
So we can dine
Eat BBQ
Or feast on winters' stew.

But in exchange I had my life
Returned to me with fork and knife.
And if I eat what I ought not to,
All night sit swearing at the potty.
I mend my ways.
And Shepherd* praise.


Next Mondays topic from Mimi: Favourite Potables.
_______________________

* Sue Shepherd from Monash University in Melbourne, Australia is the inventor of the FODMAPdiet.
I think she's a candidate for the Nobel prize!

10 kommentarer:

  1. Your diet sounds hellish to me - but if it brings you relief a sadly necessary hell.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Rather hellish, yes, but the alternative; stomch aches, brain fog tiredness, dizzy spells and general malaise is even more of a hell. Now I've done it for more than 7 years, it has become second nature to check ingredients for milk, onion, garlic and that dreaded E420 (Sorbitol).

      Slet
  2. Hello MotherOwl, thank you for your good wishes every Monday in your preamble. I am just starting to have some free time to get around to blogs again.
    I feel for you with your dietary restrictions as I have somewhat the same story to tell, although it sounds like you have many more restrictions than I do. My nemesis is any of the sugar alcohols - sorbitol, xylitol, etc. including foods that contain large amounts of them naturally, such as cherries (which I love, of course). Caffeine is also a problem for me although it's not a high-FODMAP item. Something strange I noticed is that after I cut out sugar alcohols and caffeine for nearly a year, I was able to start eating high-fibre foods again (wheat and oats in particular). It's good that you have found your triggers, because IBS is painful and frustrating (not to mention embarrassing) to deal with. Good luck going forward. And I loved your poem - you nailed it :)

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. We're many. I feel with you, coffee, now that's bad.
      Oh yes the Polyols (sugar alcohols) are big baddies. It's those that are the reason behind no mushrooms, onions and most berries - yes to cherries being bad! Rowan are the very worst! Their Latin name - Sorbus aucuparia - is the reason for Sorbitol being thus named.

      Slet
  3. Oh dear, I feel so sorry for you and Jenny, but when your health is at stake then I guess you find the strength and determination to stick to such a regime. I'm afraid I am very weak-willed when faced with cake or chocolate, so I hope I never have to go on such a restrictive diet. A very interesting poem, Charlotte. Thank you.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Thank you. Your will becomes a lot stronger when you know that something akin to a flu is the result of yout weak will ;)

      Slet
  4. It is amazing what we will do for our health. You did very well rhyming FODMAP diet restrictions.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Thank you. Still too much "folk song army" for my liking.

      Slet
  5. Oh, and i keep forgetting to add, thank you so much for pointing out my typing mistake! Yes, it was supposed to be "to" not "so," and i thought i had corrected it, but it did not stay corrected.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Thank you. I can't say I do not feel a bit smug when catching a native speaker ;)
      Things that does not stay corrected really are a PITA and unexplained by science. I have a word in at text that just kept reverting to a typo. 5 times in a row.

      Slet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.