torsdag den 8. juni 2023

Words for Wednesday June 7 ~ Second Set

Yesterday I only used the first set of Words. But I wanted to finish this particular chapter. And the second set was just what was needed.
The Words in the second set are:

Knead
Air
Journey
Port
Crime

And as usual I used them in the order they were given.

Next morning Susan was once again up early while the cousins slept in. Susan found sleep in the holidays to be a waste of time. She watched Granny knead the dough for bread for lunch, and after some silence she picked up her courage and asked: "Granny, why did you not want me to say anything to Helen yesterday? I am sure she would become a very good midwife."

"So am I, Susan. But she has set her mind on becoming an accountant with a big firm. She has even found a job there for the upcoming summer holidays. She has her head up in the air, and any suggestion would just make her stubborn streak surface."

Susan nodded vigorously. She knew that feeling, anything somebody, especially someone grown up, suggested was immediately not as fun or alluring as before, and tit made the course no-one spoke off seem brighter.

"She has to follow her own journey." Granny continued. "But I hope her home port will be midwifery, she has the Gift for attracting babies. Her not being a midwife would be almost a crime. But promise me not to speak a word to her of this."

"I won't," Susan promised. "But why is she not on Unicorn Farm in the holidays like me?"

"I do not know how you were chosen," Granny said, "but I know, or at least suspect that you were chosen rather randomly, depending more on whom the teachers found than on any pre-planning. I also think that they mean for the school to expand ..." Susan looked up at Granny with a confused look, and Granny explained: "To expand means to grow."
"Yes," Susan said slowly. " I think you are right. He said something like 'more apprentices to come'."
"And now," Granny said, "not a word more of that place. I won't know any more, because I can't tattle if I don't know anything."

9 kommentarer:

  1. Granny is a wise woman. As usual I am left wanting to know more. Thank you.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Yes, Granny is a wise woman - and more in the know than we think. More is sure to follow, I feel my fingers itching again.

      Slet
  2. I like Granny's last point. If you don't tell me, i can't spill the beans.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. This is totally true. We'll see more of Granny, and I suspect I'll have to redo some of the later champers to involve her more.

      Slet
  3. Susan is learning a lot from Granny.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Yes she is, arcane and mundane learning both.

      Slet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.