søndag den 19. december 2021

Words for Wednesday, December 15 -- Á Íslandi 1

Please! all reading this go to Elephant's Child's place to find the prompts, read some good stories, and be inspired to write your own.
  This is a challenge, where the old saying "The more the merrier" holds true, therefore: Please, remember to go back, read other peoples' stories there or follow their links back. And please leave a comment after reading. Challenges like this one thrives on interaction.

 This week's prompts are a selection of phrases relating to love and/or relationships.and I could do plain nothing with them, but I had a lot of leftover words from Wednesday, December 1, where I used only say and standing:

   Thread   
    Butterflies
    Unsuitable
    Sea
    Shattered 
And/or
    Press
    Eyelids
    Spaghetti
    Cardboard
    Dumped

Now we're later in time on Susan's timeline than ever before. We're leaving Birch Manor for yet a trip after old apprentices:

Susan and Knud were waiting in the lounge at Copenhagen airport. Susan sat on the edge of the chair. “Relax!” Knud said gently, “we’ll board the plane in ten minutes or so.”
“I know,” Susan said, drawing a big shuddering breath, “But what with the spell thread, the books, and wands and magic paraphernalia in general, passing the customs gave me a major attack of butterflies in the stomach.”
“We got trough with no trouble,” Knud said grinning.
“And don’t tell me you had nothing to do with it,” Susan said more calm now. “It’s not totally unsuitable to use the ‘There’s nothing here-suggestions’ on unsuspecting customs officers. I’m more surprised that it worked. I always used to have everything checked when travelling in days of old.”
“Are you nervous?” Knud asked. “Most of our flight will be smooth, as we’re flying over the sea. No mountains or even high ground until we arrive.”
"No," Susan said. “I’m not really nervous; apprehensive describes it better. I do not like flying, and I do not like going north. You know my preferred holiday would be a slow, easy train travel to Italy in the summer time. But you can’t have everything. If we’re going to save the shattered remains and rebuild the school, we have to travel to Iceland and visit that museum for old Icelandic magic - even if it sounds like the phoniest thing north of Equator.”
“You nailed it, Susan, and I agree on all counts,” Knud said.

5 minutes later they boarded the plane, in the press to get aboard they got separated, but as the plane was not that full after all Susan quickly found Knud's lanky form over the seat rows. One of the assets of having a tall husband, Susan thought to herself, it’s quite hard to get lost. Knud felt her eyes on him, turned and waved at her, he had found their row.

The flight was totally uneventful, Susan dozed while Knud read a book, later he nodded off and Susan pulled out her sketch pad and drew Iceland as she imagined it would be looking, perfect with a smoking volcano in the background. Knud woke up and rubbed his eyelid. “Did you draw a plate of spaghetti?” he asked in a teasing tone.
“It’s lava, stupid,” she grinned, doffing his shoulder with mock blows. “I have no idea how it will be looking, this is my guess.”

Suddenly the plane lurched, the Fasten Seatbelts sign lit and the cardboard box containing Susan’s colours fell over and dumped its contents in her lap.

5 kommentarer:

  1. Poor Susan, not liking to fly but having to. She copes well though. I have just finished watching a TV series called Vikings which featured Iceland for a while and I was surprised to find it had a volcano.

    SvarSlet
  2. Flying does make me nervous, i hope they arrive safely and on time.

    SvarSlet
  3. I am not comfortable flying either.
    I do hope they arrive safely but hat lurch, on an expected calm trip, has me a little worried.

    SvarSlet
  4. I'm not a fan of flying but I'm sure Susan and her husband makes it to Iceland just fine. Some people take some pills and sleep through the flight but I guess Susan's not like that.

    Have a lovely day.

    SvarSlet
  5. I'm impressed at her ability to keep her mind on something else... But, ugh. Flying.
    You and me, Susan. You and me...

    SvarSlet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.