lørdag den 8. februar 2020

Harikuyo - Broken Needles - Nålefest

Hari means needle. Kuyo means memorial service.
  Every year on 8th February artisans who use needles as a part of their trade like seamstresses, embroiderers, tailors, weavers, or just ordinary people engaged in these activities celebrate this  needle memorial services.
  They express their thanks to the needles for their long and hard work, and they also pray for the improvement of their own skills with needles.



  I hope something including needles, prayers and cakes is going to happen in the Owlery today. 

5 kommentarer:

  1. I really, really like this idea.
    We have a proverb 'A poor workman blames his tools'. This celebration is the opposite. I love the idea of giving them thanks, and also for praying for the grace and skill to learn to use them better.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. I like that proverb - as I suppose it means not that the tools are bad, but that the workman tries to blame them. And yes this holiday is the opposite, thanking used tools for their service. It is a good thought.

      Slet
  2. I don't know if I've ever, ever had a broken hand needle (I have broken machine needles). I still have the needles I used in high school, as well as newer ones.

    Straight pins are another matter entirely. They are made so poorly nowadays that every other pin bends as I'm using it. I keep them in a spice jar that will eventually get thrown away, probably after I die, because it can hold so many. Are straight pins included in this celebration? Because I would enjoy some cake too :) I do like the idea of thanking needles for their service. Especially since mine have been such faithful servants.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Yes straight pins are included, just look at the picture. It seems they are the worst for breaking and bending in Japan as in Canada and Denmark.

      Slet
  3. This is such a nice tradition!

    SvarSlet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.