mandag den 7. september 2026

Poetry Monday :: My Culture ~ Not my Poem

Poetry Monday is a blogging challenge started by Diane @ On the Border in February 2017; later it was picked up by Delores @ Mumblings and Jenny @ Procrastinating Donkey.
    Then Dolores took over the hosting duties; but when Dolores left the internet, Diane returned and took over hosting duty again with her and Jenny taking turns suggesting a topic.

    Now Mimi @
Messymimi's Meanderings and I have taken over, as Diane seems disinclined to take up Poetry Monday again.

The prompts are now taken from 365 Days of Drawing Prompts and other Arts group. This is a Facebook group with a (drawing) prompt for each day of the year, but no worries, the prompts will still be here and at Mimi's blog. And they mostly lend themselves perfectly for poeming as well. 


  I have something to ask of you: If you read this and the poetry of others via the links, would you please leave a comment.
  Half - if not more - the fun of these challenges is receiving the responses of others
.


Today the prompt is 
My Culture which by I do not know which strange byways made me think of My Conviction from Hair. This is at least a big part of my cultural background. Even if the lyrics were hard to understand, the messages in this musical crept under our skin.
As we're allowed to post other people'e poetry as well here we go - I do excuse for the earworm


I would just like to say that it is my conviction
That longer hair and other flamboyant affectations
Of appearance are nothing more
Than the male's emergence from his drab camoflage
Into the gaudy plumage
Which is the birthright of his sex

There is a peculiar notion that elegant plumage
And fine feathers are not proper for the man
When ac---tually
That is the way things are
In most species

I still can add and imbed YouTube videos, I hope this plays.


1 kommentar:

  1. It's true, the male of every species is the gaudy one with flashy feathers in many colours for birds while the hens are meekly brown, and the lion with his impressive mane too. Centuries ago, man was often more gaudily dressed than the womenfolk of the time and I don't know when that changed, but I am glad women were able to "show themselves off" just as the men did, and now of course anybody can wear anything and often do.

    SvarSlet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar, og prøver at svare på alle kommentarer .

I am grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.