mandag den 29. august 2022

Poetry Monday :: Bats

It is Poetry Monday!
 Diane - who has taken over the hosting of  this challenge - and Mimi of Messymimi's Meanderings - who supplies us with many of the topics - are also writing wonderful, funny, thought-provoking, ingenious and honestly well written verse. Go and read them!
  Karen of Baking in a Tornado has joined us in this crazy pursuit, and promises us at least a poem a month!
  SpikesBestMate often publishes a nice verse in the comments.
  Jenny at Procrastinating Donkey who has been a faithful participant, is slowly returning to blogging after her husband's passing from this world. Let's continue to send warm thoughts, good energy, and lots of prayers her way, now that her mum's health is in need of a prayer too. But still we dare hope that she will join Poetry Monday again.


Today we do Bats!

The Pirate loves bats, a thing he has inherited from his mom. When first we moved in, I was younger by far than I am today, and brushing my teeth in the autumn evenings, I heard the bats' schreeching outside. It was (and is) common noctules, one of the few bats whose echo sounds are just 'low' enough to be sometimes audible to (young) human ears. (Around 18 kHz - within the upper audible limit of around 20 kHz.)

We always wondered why they did not move in here, bats and swallows alike. They nest at the neighbours' but not here, and we would welcome them!

-- -- -- 🦇 -- -- --

Sorry it turned out a bit batty!

I'd love me some bats
To compete with the gnats
To bother the cats
And live in my att-
ic.

My son loves them too
As they fly ot and fro
Diving out of the blue
Always know what they're do-
ing.

Oh, a nice, flying bat
Flew into my hat.
I am sure that that
Might drive me just bat-
ty!

-- -- -- 🦇 -- -- --

And a bonus - I originally published this poem 13 August 2018. But I have published it almost every year since then - today is the right day to keep up this tradition:

Rain!

It was rainy all day. I could hear it all night, as I lay in my bed.
Now everything's dripping and drooping, and dreary and wet.
The brooks are all leaping, the rivers all run.
Every field had its water, every straw had its drink.
But there's apples still ripening and berries, I think.
So please, pretty please, can I have back the Sun!


(also published August 10 2020, and January 25 2021)

 - - - - -

Next Mondays topic: Labour Day

3 kommentarer:

  1. I am smiling at both of your poems. I do like bats. Today it is grey and decidedly damp. I am hoping to see some sunshine tomorrow.

    SvarSlet
  2. Let's hope for sunshine for both of us!

    SvarSlet
  3. I love the bat poem and how you made the rhymes and then had leftovers! I do like bats. At our cottage years ago our cats at the time developed a sudden interest in the space under the refrigerator. We looked with a flashlight and discovered a bat hiding there. Then it flew into the second floor (it was an open-concept building). We finally captured it with gardening gloves and a pillowcase and then let it go out the window. I think the cats were disappointed but I was happy to have the problem solved :)

    SvarSlet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.