mandag den 15. november 2021

Poetry Monday :: Cleaning my Refrigerator

If you want to read some better  poetry,  Diane - who has taken over the hosting of  this challenge - and Mimi of Messymimi's Meanderings - who also supplies us with topics - are writing wonderful, funny, thought-provoking, ingenious and honestly well written verse. Go and read.

  Karen of Baking in a Tornado has joined us in this crazy pursuit, and promises us at least a poem a month - may  we hope for more! I think this theme should entice her to participate.
  SpikesBestMate often publishes a nice verse in the comments.

  Jenny at Procrastinating Donkey who has been a faithful participant, is slowly returning to blogging after her husband's passing from this world. Let's continue to send warm thoughts, good energy, and lots of prayers her way. And dare we hope that she will join Poetry Monday again.

❆❆❆

I had announced a blog-break, but my brain seems to disagree. This morning I woke half an hour or so before the alarm went off, and the topic for today: Clean Out Your Refrigerator ran around inside my brain. I reminisced about the fridges of my life, and suddenly, all by itself, some lines formed in my brain. Here's a bit of the nostalgia and all of the lines:

❆❆❆

When I was a little one, refrigerators were cleaned every Monday. Well at that time it was not even a refrigerator, but an ice-box. And Monday was the day for the iceman to come around with the ice. Thus Monday was clean out and scrub the icebox-day, yummy as any left over ice-cream had to be eaten up.
  Then the fridge arrived, a chubby, friendly looking type. It was a bit overambitious, as I suppose all fridges were back then, so a weekly cleaning and removal of accumulated ice was still in place. It was faster than scrubbing the ice-box, and with the invention of (or mum's discovery of) those blue ice-thingies, put in the small freezer with the ice cube tray, we did not get to eat all the ice-cream Sunday evening.
  Fast forward 30 years. Now my fridge is self-defrosting, but alas not self cleaning.

When I'm cleaning my fridge, I don't know what I'll find.
A kid's experiment, forgotten, left behind.
A mouldy old cheese or a chocolate bar
Parts from a bike or was it our car?
Feathers and stones or a live butterfly,
Delicious jam or an old apple pie?
One thing I never found -- which is actually odd --
Is spiders and cobwebs, for which I thank God.

- - - - -

Next Mondays topic: Your favorite record (or) best stereo or record player ever.

9 kommentarer:

  1. Smiling - and remembering that I really, really need to clean our fridge.
    Tomorrow.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. I'm with you on needing to do this - tomorrow ;)

      Slet
  2. Heeheehee! Excellent! That ending was pure gold.

    SvarSlet
  3. I still clean my fridge every week even though there is never much in there. It was more of a chore when I was living with my two youngest who were also working and filling the fridge. We could have used three fridges back then.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Old habits die hard ;) I don't and it's always overfilled with three "children" still at home.

      Slet
  4. Hahahaha! Perfect! Well done!

    And sometimes my fridge is like an archeological dig!
    Years ago, my eldest son served as a missionary in Boston. He lived in an apartment that had been inhabited steadily by other missionaries from decades before. He, being my son, decided the fridge needed cleaning out. (You have to know the years was 1996) There was a salad dressing bottle in there that expired in 1986!
    After that story, nothing I ever found could compete!

    SvarSlet
  5. What I remember about refrigerator as a kid is during the summer, we open it just to feel cool because we had no air conditioner. It seems no matter what, cleaning the fridge is the last thing anyone want to do, I certainly don't. I think spiders don't like the cold and it's why they don't' go in there.

    Have a lovely day.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. I think you're rigth about sppiders not liking cold places.

      Thank you

      Slet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.