lørdag den 28. august 2021

WfW August 25 -- The Second Set of Words.

I still have the last set of  five words left over form the Words for Wednesday. They are:

    Strident
    Copious
    Salient
    Temerity
    Euphemism

And I had an idea. How far do you have to read before you recognize this story?



Mom''s voice was turning strident: "Susan! How many times have I told you not to let that rabbit out of the cage?"

"I did not let him out, Mom," Susan answered. I think the lock is getting worn, he just escaped." Susan grasped a carrot and went down on both knees beside the sofa: "Come out here, Rabbity-dear," She sang softly. "I have copious amounts of carrots, but you're not getting any if you do not get out now."

Susan's dad came into the living room. "Lilly," he said, "it's time to leave, the two boys are already standing ready at the door, they can't get to my mother's new place soon enough."

"We can't leave now," Lilly answered, "Susan has let the rabbit loose, or maybe the lock was worn, anyhow. The salient point is, that the dastardly rabbit sits under the sofa, and we can't leave until Susan gets him back into his cage again." Lilly looked at Susan kneeling at the couch, "And she's trying to reason with the rabbit once again. It'll take all day I fear. May I have the temerity to suggest that you go ahead with Sam and Ben in your car, then I and Susan follow later, when the rabbit is once again behind bars?" Lilly continued.

"Saying that this is a splendid solution might be an euphemism," Henning said, "but given the circumstances it's probably the best we can do." He gave Lilly a sound hug and a kiss, and patted Susan's head. "Do catch that naughty rabbit fast, Susan. Grandmother wants to see all of us."

"I want to see her and her new house, and granddad too, Susan said, "But Rabbity has to be safe. I'd hate if something happened to him while we were away." Dad nodded and hurried out of the door, they could all hear Ben and Sam quarrelling in the hallway.

"OK, Susan, you have an hour. If Rabbitty is not inside the cage we'll just have to leave him be. Do you need my help, or can I go and have an extra cup of coffee?" Susan's Mom asked.
"I'll holler if I need your help, Mom. Right now I just want to make him understand that if he does not get out, he'll get no carrots for a very long time!"

"Susan," Lilly said while shaking her head. "Rabbitty is a smart and sweet rabbit, but he does not understand what you say, it's no use pretending. But I'll leave you to it. Good luck!" Susan's Mom left the door slightly ajar. Not enough for a rabbit to get through, but enough for her to hear Susan should she call for help.

"You do understand me, don't you, Rabbitty?" Susan asked softly. She could see the rabbit under the couch. Of course squarely in the middle, where even dad's long arms could not reach him. She opened the cage, and placed the biggest, crunchiest carrot inside it. "Now you listen, Rabbitty. Do you see that carrot in the cage? That's for you. And tomorrow you get another one, and the next day. Big, juicy crunchy carrots," she broke one with a sound to prove her promises, "but only if you get into that cage now. If I have to get the broom and make Mom sweep you out again, then no more carrots for a long, long time. Maybe forever." Susan held the carrot in her hand and extended her arm as far as it went under the couch. She felt the rabbit's resistance wavering. "Oh, come now ..." she said softly. " come Rabbitty, be a smart rabbit and have carrots, come into the cage, come now!" And slowly she pulled the carrot towards the cage, the rabbit's nose twitching and twisting at the tantalizing smell. Susan kept on moving the carrot and the rabbit followed along until it finally was inside the cage. "Good Rabbitty, sweet  boy, Here's the carrot I promised you. Thank you for listening."

Susan closed the door, and carried the cage into the kitchen. "Mom, I got him!" she said. "Would you mind looking at the lock?"
Lilly twisted and turned the lock, but could not make it catch. "You're right,Susan, it's broken. Hold onto it while I get some steel wire to tie it shut."

***

If you have not found out, it is this chapter from Birch Manor, but seen from Little Susan's point of view.


6 kommentarer:

  1. I love seeing Little Susan's perspective. Animal magic - a kind of magic I would love to have myself. Magic which is based on respect, boundaries and kindness.
    A v minor quibble. 'she pulled the carrot to wards the cage' to wards should be one word (towards), despite the appropriateness of wards in a story about magic.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Thank you! Both Susans can do animal magic ;)
      Thanks. I'll correct immediately.

      Slet
  2. It must be a chapter from before I found you. I like Little Susan.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. I think not ;) Maybe you do not remember it, and no wonder, as it was only a couple of sentences in a chapter that really was about something else. I just suddenly felt like unfolding this short text from the viewpoint of Susan's grandchild (also called Susan - hence little Susan).

      Slet
  3. Little Susan will be wonderful with magical animals also, i believe. Lovely story.

    SvarSlet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.