tirsdag den 23. april 2024

Ⓐ - Ⓩ ~ Terje

This is a series of studies for my long-time-in-the-writings book about the magic in the Nordic countries.
We are in the 70es on Unicorn Island, an island off the coast of southern Zealand. A handful of teachers have gathered the broken threads of magic once again, trying to revive the magic in Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, the Faroes and partially Greenland.
Our main protagonist is Susan (me) from Elsinore and her three co-apprentices and friends Heidi, Tage and Lis living at Unicorn Island.
I grasped the chance to write a little bit about some of the lesser known apprentices in this A-Z challenge.


Ⓐ - Ⓩ

T is for Terje Myhre from Norway

Terje is the only son of a big businessman in the wealthy suburbs of Oslo. His mother is a real estate agent, rich and efficient as well. He has three sisters, all older than him, and he is the big disappointment of the family specifically of his energetic father. Finally a boy, but then this boy! Big, painfully slow, clumsy, eccentric and not the least bit interested in big money.
  Terje spends most of his days trying to keep away from his father and with his nose in a book, the latter not helping with the former, as Terje normally gets so absorbed in his reading, that he does not notice the world around him.
   Animals always love Terje, and he spends many hours with the family dog when he is out visiting with his father and mother. He once happened to claim he could understand what the dog told him, but his father laughed so hard, Terje never said anything about this ever again.
  Because of his clumsiness his weekly allowance is always spent on repairs and making up for accidents. His father is unyielding when Terje asks for more hoping he will eventually learn prudence. Hence the rich boy is in reality the poorest of his classmates, always on the lookout for an extra job, which his slowness and inattention never let him keep for long. Luckily he is as helpful and generous as he is slow. Always happy to lend a strong, helping hand to whomever needs it.

When Martine first finds him, he's sweeping up the splintered window panes in his fathers garage, of course having cut fingers and arms in numerous places, he looks like a murder case.
"Hello," Martine said, "I think I am looking for your father, Mr. Myhre. But you seem to be in need of help. Can I do something for you?"
"Can you pick up glass without cutting your fingers, and all the glass?" Terje asked despondently. "I'm not allowed to do my homework before all the pieces are swept up."
"I can try." Martine simply said, drew her wand and swished it through the air while speaking a short command Terje did not understand. All the pieces of glass, even the tiniest, gathered in a nice heap and crept unto the dustpan on the floor.
"That is fabulous, Terje said. I wish I could do this! It would make my life so much easier."
"Do you want to learn?" Martine asked.
"Is it possible? You're not pulling my leg or trying to have my money?"
"What a refreshingly honest response," Martine smiled. "No, I'm not after your money. I know that you haven't got any. And as for  making fun of you - no I don't, and if you look at me like you would on a dog, you can feel it."
Terje looked at Martine. "Yes," he said, slowly, "you are speaking the truth, and you do want me to learn."
"Then nothing is holding you back."
"Yes. My parents, and money," Terje said.
"Give your father and mother this flyer. They will read it as a course in behaviour and bodily balance or words to that account, and think that this would be a fitting way for you to spend your summer holiday. I'll come here and pick you up the first days. You'll have to go there on your own after that." Martine ended. She swished her wand again and said: "Sár, lagiði!" whereupon all the small wounds on Terje's fingers and arms closed themselves.
"Wow!" he said, "Thanks a lot!" Then he accepted the flyer from Martine and she left, promising to be back to pick him up.
Terje's father smiled when he saw the flyer and said: "This sure is the summer school for you, Terje!" I'll pay that fee happily.

 - - - - -

Terje joined the green team, happily speaking to animals and mending plants and so much more in his three years at Unicorn Farm, It even helped his slovenliness quite a bit.
His wand was made of Ash, emitting purplish-blue sparks. Terje did not survive the loos of his magic either.

Ⓐ - Ⓩ

Tomorrow U for My Birkeland from Norway - none of this begins with U, but her home town, Uldervik, does.

9 kommentarer:

  1. I'm glad his time at Unicorn Farm was happy and productive.

    SvarSlet
  2. I am so sorry that Terje also did not survive. I hope he had many happy years first.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. I am sorry too. His time at the Unicorn Farm was the best three years of his life - as it was for many of the apprentices.

      Slet
  3. I like Terje. He didn't sound sloven, just needs to learn concentration on things other than books.

    Have a lovely day.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. ... learn to concentrate, period. He is always not quite present in the here and now, but he will learn. Which I think is a collaborating factor in his demise, and he can no longer just escape into his dreamscapes when thing get harsh.

      Slet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.