mandag den 5. april 2021

Poetry Monday :: Read a Road Map

If you want to read some more poetry,  Diane and Mimi of Messymimi's Meanderings  write wonderful, funny, thought-provoking, ingenious and honestly well written verse. Go and read.

  Karen of Baking in a Tornado has joined us in this crazy pursuit, and promises us at least a poem a month - may  we hope for more!
  SpikesBestMate often publishes a nice verse in the comments, and helps out at topic supplying.

  Jenny at Procrastinating Donkey who has been a faithful participant, is taking a break due to her husband's recent passing from this world. Let's continue to send war
m thoughts, good energy, and lots of prayers her way.

I have something more to ask of you: If you read this and the poetry of others, would you please leave a comment. Half - if not more - the fun of these challenges is receiving the responses of others.

Today is read a roadmap day.
This is a skill I often use, as I do not own a GPS, nor a smartphone. But I own roadmaps - yes plural - and I bought one of the very last that was printed for my area :(

To find your way through street and town
Is something that can make me frown.
For where is east and north and south.
Dear hubby please don't scream and shout.
I have no compass, sky is grey
Say right or left, I dearly pray
Then I'll drive us the right way.

But in the forest where we play
By berries often lead astray
A roadmap leads a helping hand
With signs for where the trees all stand
Now there's the cairn and here the brook
The map here shows the way we took,
To get back, follow that black rook!

Directions strange like these are heard
For roads are often named for birds.
We follow rook and crow and hawk
To find our way to there and back
A map is surely my true friend
It always functions without end
And never answers back again.

- - - - - -

If you want to join in feel free to do so. Here's the topics coming up:

Favourite invention (From Mimi) (April 12)
National Garlic Day (April 19)
The ocean or beach (From Mimi) (April 26)
The best thing about spring (From Mimi) (May 3)

 

11 kommentarer:

  1. I do love maps - and some of the old ones of our world are very, very beautiful.
    I hope this post means your router difficulties are gone.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Maps can be beautiful, and thing of memory. Router trouble ended now, Wednesday when the mail man arrived ;) )

      Slet
  2. Oh, the answering back! I know THAT to a tingle!
    I have always been the 'map reader' and Husby the man at the helm.
    Sadly, he would never (ever) listen to his navigator. More than one map ended up tossed over the seat in disgust.
    Now, however, he has learned to listen to the soft, alluring voice of the GPS.
    Huh. Maybe if I'd practised a more 'dulcet' tone...?

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. And fabulous poem! Very well done indeed!

      Slet
    2. Thank you. I find the GPS very patient, but intolearble to listen to. She's the one ansvering back!

      Slet
  3. Excellent!

    Grandpa would just stop and ask directions, one of the few men i know who did.

    Sweetie and i take turns driving, and i've learned to just let the GPS do the talking.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Asking for directions happens often here, we live on a corner where many cpass by when they get lost. Worst one ever was a Polish lorry driver with a load of melons for the greengrocers' market in Copenhagen. My answer "See main road down there? - Left, 60 km ahead. Ask again" (Yes, in Polish) brought on a string of words I was happy to not know enough Polish to understand ;)

      Slet
  4. I so agree with you Charlotte - it's the symbols for trees, churches (look for a church with a steeple, not a tower!) post offices (!) etc that I love, and seeing the bigger picture as we travel, rather than just the road ahead. Sorry, no poem from me this week - I have a bad case of brain fog!

    SvarSlet
  5. Oh thank you all. I do not like the voice of the GPS-lady and find her interminable "Make a U-turn as soon as possible" when you do not follow her advise even worse thean a human map reader ;)

    SvarSlet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.