onsdag den 19. februar 2020

Words for Wednesday - From Words to Story

I do not know if this is interesting at all, but as I am not going to finish WfW today - I do not have the time, and worse, I pulled, sprained (or whatever it's called) a muscle in my neck, making writing painful - I thought to show how I am working instead.


Here's the words, fresh from River
1. suitable
2. rapturous
3. smeared
4. snuffle
5. bookmark
6. scoop

1. snick
2. funny
3. twilight
4. espionage
5. synchronicity
6. feisty

And here's my notes, I try to find a fitting sentence or idea for each of the prompts, sometmes two go together in one sentence. I think you all can see where the story is going:

1 - In the end the apprentices found a suitable plan.

2 - XX was rapturous as she crossed the line as the first, sharply followed by XX  and XX.

3 - Heidi pulled a big book from her worn bag, It had several bookmarks sticking out in various colour.

4 - A phial of clear spring water, a scoop of dandelion fluff. 

5 - Finally, with a loud snick the door opened and they were inside the broomshed.

6 - They smeared XX on their hands /the broomsticks

7 - It made them snuffle, but that was a small price to pay.

8 - This is not funny stuff, this is vandalism! Martine said harshly.

9 & 10 - In the twilight they gathered in the grove some way from the broomshed. They could see, but not be seen. This was essential for their espionage work. And yes, there they came. David in front, ... and of course Tage.

11 - The race began. At the word Byrjið the participants kicked off with perfect synchronicity and soared up and through the first obstacle,

12 -  Fiona is feisty.

Now let's see how the story will be when I'm trough writing it. 

5 kommentarer:

  1. I love seeing into your writer's head. Your process is much more structured than my own.
    I am sorry to hear about your poor neck though - those injuries are very painful (I once spent a year in a neck brace). Look after yourself and I look forward to reading the finished story when you are better.

    SvarSlet
  2. You do better at outlines than i do. The story is going to be great to read.

    SvarSlet
  3. It's nice to see someone else's works in action. I usually have one word "pop out" at me with a full sentence around it and continue from that. Or I may have to look up the meaning of a word or two, or several and the meanings will suggest a story to me. I hope you neck is much better soon.

    SvarSlet
  4. Thank you for your encouraging replies.
    This - what I wrote down in this post - normally only happens inside my brain. I wrote it down so as not to forget until my neck un-crincks again :) And thought it might be just a little bit interesting.
    I always read through the words, look up at least one, sometimes more, to get the precise meaning of them clear, and then sentences start to form inside my brain. Normally I then just sit down and write, but not so today.
    This Wednesday I looked up record many words: rapturous, snuffle, scoop, synchronicity and feisty. Not because I did not know what they meant (none of the words were totally new to me), but because a general idea of what they mean is not good enough for writing; I get wiser every Wednesday. The story is in the making - I just cannot keep away from the keyboard - and it is going to be long. I might cut it in two, actually.
    @ River, I understand your popping word. That happens for me sometimes as well, mostly when the words are a struggle to me, or I have no idea of where my story is going. Then one word take the lead, and tells me what scene I'm going to describe.

    SvarSlet
  5. This is interesting to me as I find it hard to write fiction and wonder how other people do it.

    Now that I see into your method, it does remind me of when I write rhyming poetry. Sometimes a rhyming couplet comes into my head already complete, sometimes just one line, then I write them down and juggle them around and fill in around them. Maybe I just don't have a fiction writer's mind, only a poetry one!

    SvarSlet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.