fredag den 21. februar 2020

Broom Racing 3 - 1st installment

I can't still write much, but I also can not keep away from the keyboard with a story in my head. What to do? I decided on splitting this weeks Words for Wednesday-story up in parts. I suspect there'll be at least three. 

Here's the words once again:

suitable rapturous smeared snuffle bookmark scoopand/or
snick funny twilight espionage synchronicity feisty


***

They met the very next day. Tage had told Lis who was part of David's team. They had all heard some of the names through the walkie-talkie: Josh, Bjørn and Lukas, but to their surprise, Britta, Lukas' smaller sister, both of them cousins of Helge, had joined in. Even more surprising was the news that Kalle and Anna Berggren had joined in as well, Those two were Swedes and Susan were good friends of them both.
"We're so not going to tell on them," Susan said, as Lis revealed the participants in David's racing team. "I don't know how Kalle and Anna ended up as part of the team, and Britta and Lukas too. We're going to have to teach them a lesson, getting only David, and maybe Josh and Bjørn in trouble. I'm sure  that Anna and Kalle have no idea what David is doing, and why."
"Do you know?" Heidi asked. "I mean why David is doing what he does."
"No, do not know. Neither do I understand or condone it, but I think he's evil, and I do not want many people to suffer because of his scheming. I'm sure that he has somehow lured the youngest Swedes into joining him. Maybe promising them fame and glory and what not. I'm not sure they know about the cheating and hexing."
"Tage was not very explicit," Lis said. "He was afraid that David somehow suspected him of foul play, maybe even held an eye on him or something. He only told me who was in the team, as this is going to be common knowledge tomorrow morning, it cannot hurt."
"It's not like Tage to be so timid," Heidi said. "David must have scared him in some way."
"I know, I'm stupid or slow here," Susan said, "But this broom racing stuff eludes me, could someone please tell me how, who and why?"
Fiona stood up: "First of all, we have three racing teams. The Yellow team: Me, Marit and Astrid here, Nata from Finland and the two big Icelanders, Sif and Elwin. Then we have David's team:  David of course, Josh and Bjørn, then Lukas and Britta, Kalle and Anna. I suppose Tage is not racing for David," she said with a wry smile. "And one of the others got to abstain as well. A team is six flyers, seven is one too many. I'd guess Anna is left out, she's not good on a broom, and she is apt to overestimate her own skills." Fiona drew a deep breath. "Then there's 'The competition' This was their own name for the team when it was only them and us. It consists of the good flyers not on the yellow team: Hilde, who's good at flying, really good. Josta the eldest of the Birch-sisters also good, but a bit heavy. Finnbogi and Grani, two Icelanders more and as good as they all are. They have all sat on a broom form before they could walk." Fiona said with a big envious sigh. "Then there's Ingrid and Harald from Sweden, and yes he's Kalle and Anna's bigger brother."
"That might explain why Kalle and Anna is teaming with David, Those siblings are always trying to prove themselves better," Lis said.
"And what are the rules, once again?" Susan asked.
"All start at the same time," Fiona explained. "The course is laid out partway as an obstacle race and partway with straight laps where speed counts. You have to go through, over or under the obstacles, points subtracted if you fail an obstacle or go over where you're supposed to go under and so. Getting home first also counts, normally the one to cross the finishing line first is the winner, but if that person has failed many obstacles, it can happen that another one wins the race. There's a prize for the best team too. All points of the five best team members are added and a winner found that way. Then there's a banquet and general festivities. Parents are discouraged from participating."
"Discouraged?" Susan exclaimed,  But why! Don't they want to cheer on their children?"
"Yes, and that's the problem. Just imagine all our parents, and maybe half or more of them known wizards, casting minor hexes, jinxes and helping spells to aid their offspring win. Parents, that want to come, are confined to the Barn, under strict supervision."
"Oh, I see. Utter chaos!" Susan said. 
The big bell stroke one, and the conspiring apprentices  scattered. "Meet again after school's out." Lis said as they left the small room.

***

4 kommentarer:

  1. I hope writing this didn't hurt your poor neck too much.
    Many thanks and I am (as always) looking forward to reading more.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Thank you. I had an appointment for PT today. It helped my shoulder a lot. I got some exercises which should help even more, and a new appointment next week.
      More will come.

      Slet
  2. I hadn't thought of the repercussions of a bunch of spell-casting parents on their kids' competition . . . we have enough problems in our country with ordinary parents at hockey games . . .

    I'm sorry to hear your neck is bothering you, but glad you're getting physiotherapy. I've had physio for neck and shoulder and hip problems and was amazed at how much it helped.

    SvarSlet
  3. It sounds like some of these kids don't need parents to help them put hexes on competitors, which is sad.

    SvarSlet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.