fredag den 3. juni 2022

Using the Words for Wednesday

The Words for Wednesday is a movable feast, celebrating writing.

This month, June, the prompts can be found at MotherOwl's place, that's me and they are here.


And this is a The more, the merrier kind of endeavour, so Please, remember to follow the links, go and read other peoples' stories! And please leave a comment after reading. Challenges like this one thrives on interaction, feedback and encouragement.
We ALL need encouragement.

This week's words/prompts are:


Debt
Impression
Perception
Grocery
Lake
Tale

Height
Passion
Security
Movie
Sample
Wealth

I pre-posted the Words back in January, so they are as new to me as to you, and I must admit that I do not greatly care for this set of words ;) I took up the additional challenge of using the words in the order they were given.


"What's that letter, Susan? Rósa asked. It's not from your parents or anything."

"No it's not," Susan said, "and why would they send me a letter, I saw them yesterday morning, and I'll see them again this evening. But look at those stamps! A koala! and a opal ... and then even a platypus. This is too strange."

Rósa snatched the letter and looked at the stamps. "That stamp with the koala is quite new, Look it says 'Christmas 1976', but the others look older - and that last one ..." she held the letter so that Veronika could see the stamps. "That's eucalyptus, isn't it?"

"Yes it is," Veronika said. "Susan open that letter, please!"

Susan opened the letter and looked mystified at them. "It has nothing at all to do with our test. Last summer, when we were in Italy, I met an Australian priest. I liked to talk with him. He listened to me, answered my questions and was a nice sort. I wrote him a Christmas letter, asking some more questions, and telling him a bit more about me, my family and life in Denmark. This letter is from the bishop in Melbourne, no not from the bishop himself, but from his office. They tell me that the priest is not among them any more ... strange wording. I cannot tell if he's not a priest any more or if he died. That's sad. I liked the idea of knowing a priest that far away. I feel I owe him something ... a kind of spiritual debt, maybe. But there's nothing I can do." Susan ended.

Knud had been examining the envelope. "Someone glued the address of the Unicorn Farm over your home address," he said.

"Must be my mum," Susan said, "She knows I love having letters from all over the world. And she's good at those kind of things."

"In my impression this letter came on the right day," Veronika said. "Maybe my perception of the big picture is not fantastic, that's what my mum tells me at least, but you get a letter all the way from Australia, on the day we're trying to solve a riddle including Australian elements. It cannot be pure accident."

Let's put the letter with all the other things," Knud suggested. "And what is that last thing?"

"Don't you know?" Hilde asked. "It's a boomerang."

"I don't normally do my grocery shopping in Australia," Knud said, "I do not know everything. Nobody knows everything."

"It is a boomerang," Kirstin said. "Rósa's dad once had one - he's my uncle, you know. And he said it would always return to him when he threw it. But one day he threw it over a lake, and it hit a gull and fell into the lake together with the bird."

"Yes," Rósa continued. "And then he stole a boat and rowed out to retrieve it. and  then the owner of the boat, a tiny, old lady, came running out while he was out there. Me and Kirstin and Jón, that's Kirstin's dad got a scolding from the little lady. Then Jon told about the boomerang all the way from Australia, and after that the little old lady invited us in for tea and tale swapping, as she had been to Australia as well. It ended up well enough."

"It seems that the Australia craze was on its height then, and that little old lady had a passion for all things exotic. I think uncle Sigurd ended up gifting her  the boomerang."
"He did," Rósa said. "He had friends in Security at the airport, and they got him a new one. Not totally legal, I dare bet, but then they knew him. The one he got had been confiscated from a movie star, famous them, but now totally forgotten."
"That's a sample of how much help wealth really is." Rósa said. "Real wealth is friends."

... to be continued

5 kommentarer:

  1. Friends are indeed real wealth. I am really enjoying this - and the Australia focus as well. Thank you.

    SvarSlet
  2. What fun they are having trying to solve this, and i'm having fun reading along.

    SvarSlet
  3. Real wealth is friends and happiness helps too. my dad had a boomerang, but not one of the returning ones, his was longer and was used for killing kangaroos, or stunning them so the Aboriginals could then kill them for food and clothing. My brother has it now.

    SvarSlet
  4. Charlotte, you spin a VERY convincing tale! Can't wait to see where this one goes!

    SvarSlet
  5. I'm amused by the story of the boomerang hitting a bird and falling into the lake, makes me want to laugh.

    Have a lovely day.

    SvarSlet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.