søndag den 6. marts 2022

Á Íslandi -29

When Jan came out followed by the two police officers they bade Ella, Susan and Knud, who had returned with the doctor, wait a bit. The officers spoke shortly with the doctor; and then the older officer, Svend Poulsen, turned to them: "Knud, could we ask for a guided tour of the premises, while the doctor discusses the medical and practical details with Ella and Susan."
"Of course," Knud said, "follow me."


When the doctor was through explaining and had  had Ella sign her name to the necessary papers, the officers and Knud returned.
Svend Poulsen once again spoke to all of them: "Here is my phone number. I'll ask you to call me if any of those present should think of leaving the country. This is standard procedure. We'll have to wait for the autopsy report, but unofficially we regard this as an unlucky accident. You are free to have your reunion party, if the mood has not been ruined."
Ella spoke - in German with Susan translating: "He was my husband, and that was the reason for his coming here. Furthermore our relationship has for at least a decade been of the practical variety, we were more like distant cousins than lovers. Of course I'm sad that he died, but I'm not devastated, as I would have been as a younger me. We did not hate one another, only the love was gone."
"Still you have our condolences and our well-wishes for your party," Svend Poulsen said.
The ambulance with Walther's mortal remains and the car with  the two police officers left Birch Manor, and Susan drew a deep breath and sighed.
"Let's just hope they find nothing untoward in that autopsy, and also not in the background information on  Walther."
 "Yes, let's hope so," Ella said. "Should we inform the rest of the happenings?"
"Oh yes we shall," Susan said and led the way to the hall.
Inside the hall everybody still sat waiting. Some of the smaller children slept in carrier cots or in their parents' arms, the older were playing some games in small groups in the rear of the hall. Knud went to the front with Ella and Susan.
"Dear friends, he began, then realized that he had cancelled the language spell earlier, drew his wand and swung it: "Mál sameinast!" he said, and started over: "Dear friends, We are going to proceed with our party as planned. The two nice policemen told us unofficially that they regard Walther's death as an accident. They are going to examine Walther's body, but we do not expect them to find anything extraordinary there. We are free to party, celebrate, mourn, do whatever we like, except that nobody here present are allowed to leave Denmark without notifying the police officer. As you have hopefully planned to stay here for the coming week, we should be fine, and no prohibitions on more arriving either. We only have to watch us coming and going. No reason to give rise to suspicion where none exist. Ella, would you like to say a few words about you and Walther?"
Ella nodded: "I have been married to Walther, whom once upon a time you knew as David, for almost than 30 years. The last maybe ten, we have lived together as friends. None of us had found another, but the love between us  had died. We stayed together from habit, because breaking up was more complicated than just staying together. And for Walther's part I suspect mainly because he knew that Susan and Knud were going to try and find me if they ever got their magic back. He had for a long, long time been adulterating the water in our house, so that I was more compliant to his wishes. He has made me distance myself from my sisters and brothers, and I had few friends in Shiltach. Of course I had my work, and I went to some social happenings, sewing circle, reading circle and such. But Walther always made me cut the ties with anyone getting too close. I deeply resent what he has done to me and to my life, but I did not kill him. It was an honest accident, He might have been looking for some way out through the window. He might have only been curious what was on the top of the shelves in the shed. I don't know. Right now I only know that I want the reunion to proceed as planned."
They all applauded Ella, and one of Heidi's grandchildren awoke with a start and began crying.
Susan took over: "Today we were to have given wands to those not yet having any. but this is a long, somewhat tiring process, and in the light of today's events, I suggest we postpone it until tomorrow. Now I suggest a cup of tea soft drinks and cake for everyone. Rósa, could you please write letters to Hilde, Frank and Freja, Monica and Olav, giving them the gist of what has happened, and telling them it's safe to return, but please by non-magical means of transportation."
"That I can do," Rósa said.

... to be continued

2 kommentarer:

  1. People like Walther/David make me very sad. Maybe Ella will have a more joyful life now.

    SvarSlet
  2. I know people who keep their wives from having any friends, I was married to one.
    I am very glad the police have found David/Walther's death to be an accident, so those who left can now return and the party can go on, with new wands too.

    SvarSlet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.