mandag den 27. december 2021

Poetry Monday :: Fruitcake

If you want to read some better  poetry,  Diane - who has taken over the hosting of  this challenge - and Mimi of Messymimi's Meanderings - who also supplies us with topics - are writing wonderful, funny, thought-provoking, ingenious and honestly well written verse. Go and read.

  Karen of Baking in a Tornado has joined us in this crazy pursuit, and promises us at least a poem a month - may  we hope for more!
  SpikesBestMate often publishes a nice verse in the comments.

  Jenny at Procrastinating Donkey who has been a faithful participant, is slowly returning to blogging after her husband's passing from this world. Let's continue to send warm thoughts, good energy, and lots of prayers her way. And dare we hope that she will join Poetry Monday again.


Fruitcake for me is Stollen. Ever since long  ago we loved German cakes, and the year in Salzgitter did nothing to diminish that love.


Give me pudding, give me Yule log
Gingerbread or cookies small,
They're tasty but I dare say
Christmas Stollen beats them all

Give me mint pies, Pfeffernüsse,
Fattigmenn and all the rest
I do like them, but believe me:
Stollen is the very best

In December I go shopping
People look at me and frown
For my cart is filled with Stollen
We do like them, white and brown!

A typical Stollen with almond paste filling - our favourite.  But .. to be honest, we like Printen even better!

Next Monday the topic will be Sleep!

4 kommentarer:

  1. That looks delicious!
    Sleep? Precious and sadly rare and interrupted here.

    SvarSlet
  2. I haven't had Stollen since mum left home when I was seven. Maybe next Christmas I will buy some.

    SvarSlet
  3. Oooh! Delicious! And your poem is tasty, too!

    SvarSlet
  4. What a fun poem, and what culinary delights you mention! It would be lovely to try some of them.

    SvarSlet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.