onsdag den 1. maj 2024

The Words for Wednesday May 1 & IWSG ~ Updated

This challenge started a long time ago. Now it has turned into a movable feast with Elephant's Child as our coordinator; and the Words provided by a number of people.

The general idea of this challenge is to make us write. Poems, stories, subtitles, tales, jokes, haiku, crosswords, puns, ... you're the boss.
Use all Words, some Words, one Word, or even none of them if that makes your creative juices flow. Anything goes, only please nothing rude or vulgar.

 It is also a challenge, where the old saying
"The more the merrier" holds true.

So Please, remember to follow the links, go back and read other peoples' stories. And please leave a comment after reading. Challenges like this one thrives on interaction, feedback and encouragement. And we ALL need encouragement.

Today's Words are chosen by David M. Gascoigne and published at Elephant's Child's blog.

We were given:

Least
Fundamental
People
Satisfaction
Excited

    and/or
Natural
Trashed
Profligacy
Fragile
Future


I will write, but not today. I was derailed by sunshine, a knitting club and too many meals 😉


 - - - - - -

Today is also the first Wednesday of the month. Time for the monthly Question from the Insecure Writers' Support Group


May 1 question: How do you deal with distractions when you are writing? Do they derail you?

My answer: I am a mother of 6 children, distractions in the form of noise, questions to be answered, conflicts to be solved, catastrophes to be allayed etc. do not in general derail me. I get up, deal with it and write on.
  Meals are worse, as they demand my wholehearted presence for a prolonged time, and always it's time for a meal, when I just got in the flow.
  And what can, and do, derail me is gaming, or reading other peoples' blogs. I try not to get derailed this way, but sometimes I am just sucked into that black hole existing in the screen.

Update:
As a young one, I discussed with God whether my caling was to a monastery or to a family life. Ever since, I have with varying sucess - mostly failing for the last couple of years, but with spring and May rolling around with renewed steam - worked on making family life into a training for monastic virtues.

Obedience
Just like monks and nuns are required to leave whatever they're doing, and go to the chapel when the bell sounds. I have been - am still - practising to leave what I am doing when family calls.

12 kommentarer:

  1. I am often derailed. And dive into rabbit holes from which I emerge slowly. And dazed.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Yes, I know that feeling - oops where did the time go!

      Slet
  2. Meals are distracting for me, MO, even though there is only my husband and me. When I'm busy and focusing time flies, and I hate it when my husband comes up the stairs and starts opening the pantry and fridge doors looking for something to eat. Poor guy! Then I know I must stop. Argh! Happy creating in May!

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Hehe - exactly how it happens here, except that hubby often cooks.

      Slet
  3. Yes, the distractions of family members are constant, and meals have to be done. It makes work harder.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. True, now the hids are older, distractons are fartehr between, but longer lasting - which is better, I do not know.

      Slet
  4. I don't get derailed by my children, they are adults living in their own homes with their families. Nor by reading other blogs, which I do before I begin writing. Sometimes a brief derailment to feed the cat, but mostly I am left alone to get on with things.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. I should do this too, beter organized is better ;) I still have 3 "children" living at home.

      Slet
  5. Raising 6 children? I'm amazed you could write at all with all the demands on your time and attention. I only started writing when my kids were 12 and 18, old enough to tell off. And now, they all live away, so I'm alone in the house. Not writing much either, but that has nothing to do with distractions. It is that nasty writer's block that interferes with my writing.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. When the children were small I did not write much, but every day I told them a story at the end of the day, and now I wish that I (like Curry's Apple Orchard) had taken time to jot down some notes, as the stories - a long continuous adventure of friends -. have mostly evaporated from my mind.

      Slet
  6. I am very impressed by your update and will be meditating about it.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Thank you, I need to do so as well - as the last couple of days has shown me ... I think that whenever I decide on doing something like this - even more when writing about it something (call it the Devil, adversity, Inanimate objection, or my own recalcitrant me) showers me with situations where exactly this approach is hard to follow and seems over the top in some way, Like my children suddenly start calling me every 5 minutes for totally no reason ;)

      Slet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.