onsdag den 4. september 2024

Words for Wednesday ~ Updated & IWSG

Once again I'm only bringing the prompts, but there's all of today yo catch up, I hope to make it -- I have a half-baked idea.
And I caught up! A real life tale again, and a recent one too.

- - A - - B - - C - - 

The Word for Wednesday challenge started a long time ago. Now it has turned into a movable feast with Elephant's Child as our coordinator; and the Words are provided by a number of people.

The prompts for September are provided by River @ Drifting through Life.

The general idea of this challenge is to make us write. Poems, stories, subtitles, tales, jokes, haiku, crosswords, puns, ... you're the boss.
Use all Words, some Words, one Word, or even none of them if that makes your creative juices flow. Anything goes, only please nothing rude or vulgar.

 It is also a challenge, where the old saying
"The more the merrier" holds true.

So Please, remember to follow the links, go back and read other peoples' stories. And please leave a comment after reading. Challenges like this one thrives on interaction, feedback and encouragement. And we ALL need encouragement.

This week's prompts are:
On the run
Belong
Street
Breakfast
Tent
     and this image: taken by "Genius" and allowed by Val.
The streets were deserted, a lonely car made its way home, hurrying to make it before the expected downpour. Even a dog on the run would have given up running. The clouds were dark and hung low, not a star could be seen and the thunder rolled ominously from afar. Already well before midnight the first heavy drops fell, splattering on the deserted tiles and tarmac. By 3 am the thunder was rolling in earnest, and lightening, thunder and rain did not let up until we sat at the breakfast table. The thunderstorm belonged to a larger frontal system passing our small country from the south to the north.

We were right under its path and the circuit breaker kept activating almost as fast as we reset it. In the end we gave up, and just stayed in our beds in the dark, that was continually sundered  up by bright lightening. It was kind of fun, because there was no wind at all, the curtains hung still, like a large tent, and the giant drops fell vertically, only to splatter on the window sill and send small drops all the way into my bed and onto my toes, until I drew the curtains all the way. 

Later in the morning I spoke with the Walrus, who is still living with us, and is over 95 years old, and he also never experienced a thunderstorm like this one.

Map from lightening.org, registering - I think - only cloud-to-earth-lightening strikes, and about half were cloud-to-cloud during this particular thunderstorm.


- - A - - B - - C - - 

Today is also the first Wednesday of the month. Time for the monthly Question from the Insecure Writers' Support Group

September 4 question - Since it's back to school time, let's talk English class. What's a writing rule you learned in school that messed you up as a writer?

My answer: As English is my second language, and schooling in my school-time was rather lax, I never learned any rules for written English. Only as I reached secondary school did I receive any formal grammar and language education in English. As our teacher was old fashioned, formal and stiff, I chafed as I learned. And as she was not a stickler for grammar, but for Freudian interpretation of texts, I did not really learn that much.
I learned much more by reading, by listening to music and by watching TV, which is not dubbed in Denmark. And I think these media broke any and all rules.

My teacher in Danish taught us to structure our texts using the simple: introduction, main body with sub-themes, and conclusion structure. We had to hand in the written work with this structure written at the very beginning. I found this hard to do until she told me to leave a blank half page for the structure, then first write the text, then split it up into the relevant sections, and then see if any of these needed thinning or fleshing out. It felt like cheating, but actually it did work ;)  I have kept very much to this model whenever I need to write a structured text.

14 kommentarer:

  1. "Freudian interpretation of texts" what is that? I've never heard of it. Nor have I ever heard of the Danish method taught to you.
    I was taught to NEVER begin a sentence with "and" or "so" or "but" and was also taught to NOT use the same word too many times in an essay, and not too many words ending in "ly" (excitingly, thrillingly etc)
    I don't know why there are so many rules, but I ignore most of them and just wrote the way I would speak, or the way my characters would speak and mostly it works well enough.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. "Freudian" is my euphemism for "it's all about sex".
      My "Danish" method might very well be my teahcer's own invention.
      We have similar rules in Danish, and those are among the rules, I was taught to disregard from literture and songs ;)
      Your writing mostly works out very well indeed!

      Slet
  2. Great advice to write the story and edit the structuring afterwards. Telling the story in your own words gives the narrative a more natural flow.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. I think so too, and my teacher obviously agreed. I do not any more remember if she gave this advice to the class as a whole or to some of uds individually - thinking back I suspect the latter.

      Slet
  3. Glad you got past that teacher. Learning from television - no surprise there!

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Watching movies and listening to music and not least reading Sci-fi in English, taught me a lot.

      Slet
  4. I like your story and I also like lying snug in bed while a storm rages outside, but that comes after I stand for a while at the door and watch the spectacle nature provides.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. I first stood at the window,giving to the spectacle for quite some time, and saw some glorious thunderstrikes. After this I lay snug in my bed and got my toes wet ;) The thunderstorm lasted for over five hours, the longest one I ever experienced, and more than long enough for both ;)

      Slet
  5. Being in bed while there's a storm outside somehow gives you an odd but kind of exciting feeling, like something might happen or something, at least, I do.

    I didn't learn any rules for writing either even though everything is in English. I guess the teachers are just glad you can read and write in English since there are so many English-as-a-second-language students at my school.

    I like the idea of setting up structure and then putting the right text in the right area but I kind of prefer to just write and then figure out the structure which is probably harder.

    Have a lovely day.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Actually this: "just write and then figure out the structure" was what my teacher encouraged me to do ;)

      Slet
  6. We've had such storms, they are not uncommon here.

    Many of my teachers insisted on very formal writing for essays and exams, but also taught us to write stories the way people actually speak day to day. They wanted us to know the rules, as well as how to use them and when they didn't apply.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. We've had storms like tat one too, but not as long-lasting. I like such storms, mostly when there's almost no wind too.

      Your teachers sound very sensible. It is good to master - or at least know of - more writing styles.

      Slet
  7. Hi, I finally found your blog. I didn't know you had a dual-language blog. That is so cool. I had a problem in writing, too. It took me some time to understand the role structure plays in writing and how important structure is in a story. I finally began to understand, and that made me happy.
    Thanks for dropping by my blog.
    All the best.
    Shalom shalom

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Thank you. I need to write in two languages, as most of my readers do not read Danish, and a few of my Dainsh readers are not comfortable in English.
      Structure is important, I'm happy you learned, I am still learning ;)
      Thanks for visiting and taking your time to comment.

      Slet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar, og prøver at svare på alle kommentarer .

I am grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.