mandag den 18. december 2023

Poetry Monday :: Cookies

I feel like chasing my own tail. On my to-do list I only just made it to Poetry Monday. Tomorrow I'm going to have my gall bladder removed, so I need your prayers, good wishes or whatever positive you want to send my way, please.

The subject is Cookies. We had this very same subject back in March. I just repeat, as there's too much I have to ...

Cookies made me of course think of the edible ones  - as we eat heaps of them just now. The home made ones are the best - but also of the computer ones. Then my thoughts wandered to bread and games being replaced by cookies and reality shows. I only made a half-baked poem. But now ... well now you'll just have to read it - or not if so you choose.

-- 🦉 --

Cookies we have online
Cookies in a store
Cookies are delicious,
Dare we ask for more?

Panem et circenses *)
In the Rome of yore.
Dulling now our senses
with X Factor's score.

*) "Bread and circuses" (or bread and games; from Latin: panem et circenses) is a metonymic phrase referring to superficial appeasement. It is attributed to Juvenal, a Roman poet active in the late first and early second century BC, and is used commonly in cultural and political, contexts.

In a political context, the phrase means to generate public approval, not by excellence in public service or public policy, but by diversion, distraction, or by satisfying the most immediate or base requirements of a populace, by offering a palliative: for example food (bread) or entertainment (circuses).  (Wikipedia - Edited)

Now we're eating and accepting cookies while  watching reality-shows. As another old wise and bitter man said: "Nothing new under the sun".

-- 🦉 --

- - - - -

Next Monday: Christmas/Hannukah/Holidays.

4 kommentarer:

  1. I am sending oceans of caring and good wishes your way. I hope that the operation is completely successful and that you recover quickly. Very quickly.

    SvarSlet
  2. Praying for an uneventful and successful surgery!

    SvarSlet
  3. I'm not a big fan of cookies though I do tend to eat more of them at this time of year. Good luck with the surgery.

    SvarSlet
  4. I always enjoy your poems and have been praying for you, but I also saw your next blog post title and am off to read it.

    SvarSlet

Jeg bliver altid glad for en kommentar.
Jeg prøver at svare på alle kommentarer - og lover at hive alle kommentarer ud af spam-fængslet så hurtigt som muligt.

I am always grateful for all comments, and try to reply meaningfully to all of them.
I furthermore promise to pull your comments from spam-limbo as fast at possible.